{9}

{9}

Dedication: pisskoppkind

The sound of snapping is accompanied by laughter. Loud laughter, crazy laughter. Laughter that sends a chill down Suga's spine. About eighteen meters ahead of him is a man who is placing the monstrous metal traps on the ground. "That's what you get, damn rodent! That's what you get for chewing wires!" The man snarls, all the while gazing at a squirrel that was killed by the trap. Even though there is a significant amount of distance between them, Suga can see it. Suga can see the happy gleam within the man's eyes as he pulls the dead squirrel's body out of the trap. "Get out of there and make room for the next victim!" The man, with dark eyes, and short blonde hair with strange stripes, seems more like a wolf than a man. Then again, wolves would show more mercy..

If the man is not a wolf or man, he must be a hunting dog. A hunting dog that has separated from its owner and gone on a killing spree. No matter what the man is, something is clear. He loves death. He loves blood. He loves to see the inhabitants of the forest die. And Suga must stop him, somehow. Somehow. Otherwise... Otherwise his people could be next. The very thought of one of his people getting caught in the traps, mixed with the memory of the dead raccoon, and now the dead squirrel result in Suga dry heaving. Why is he killing? Who taught him to kill? Will he ever stop killing? Will he ever show mercy?

Suga has a feeling that the answer is no.

Suga, despite being so scared that he is shaking, and feels as though his legs are made of jelly, starts to approach the man... Starts to approach him so he can talk to him, so he can stop him... When he sees it. When he sees a shiny, L shaped object.

A gun.

The man has a gun.

Suga is no match for a gun. Quickly, in case the man started to hear him approach, he hides behind a nearby boulder. After having sunk to the ground behind the boulder, he warily peeks around it. Much to his relief, the man didn't notice him.

The relief is only temporary. After all, it is only a matter of time before more animals die, before one of the crow-people get injured or killed by a trap... Or get killed by the man. As long as the man is in the forest, they are all in danger.

They are in danger because their beaks are nothing against guns.

They are in danger because their talons are nothing against guns.

They are in danger because their small collection of bows, arrows, and spears, are nothing against guns.

They are in danger...

They are at risk of injury...

They are at risk of death...

They are at risk of the kind of death that many humans seem to bring with them... They are at risk of a slow, and cruel death. They are at risk at becoming mutilated. They are at risk at ending up like Suga's parents. His parents...

"We'll be back before sunset, okay sweetie?" His Mom says, all the while placing a soft kiss upon Suga's forehead. "Your father and I are going to talk to the humans. We are going to have a nice chat and get them to stop destroying our forest, and other forests. Be a good boy while we're gone." Her silver hair is glowing in the bright afternoon light, making her look like an angel. Surely the humans will listen to his Mom... She is too beautiful and smart to not listen to.

"Be good for Ukai-san. And don't you worry about a thing. The humans won't hurt us. They might get angry, but they won't hurt us," Suga's father says, and for some reason Suga finds himself focusing on the fact that his father's hair is dark, and his mother's hair is light... That two are opposites... That is father looks a bit scruffy, and doesn't always think things through before he acts. While is mother is beautiful and smart... Together, they are strong. Together, they are unstoppable.

They left smiling, and full of life.

When they returned...

Ukai and Suga were the ones that found them. They were the ones that found his parent's bloated and blue bodies in the river... Their bodies that had scars, that served as signs of a struggle. Ukai, the poor elderly crow, was so shocked and upset by the sight that he had a heart attack soon after. That left elven year old Suga alone... Alone with some adults, but those adults that expected him to protect them and guide him...

"Mom, Dad, Ukai..." Suga finds himself whispering, "what am I supposed to do? What am I going to do? I'm scared... I'm so scared..." Suga wraps his own arms around himself, and tries to stop himself from falling apart. He needs to do something! He needs to do something, RIGHT NOW! He needs to do something to stop the man from killing, and he needs to find Kageyama... He needs to stop the humans... HE NEEDS TO DO IT ALL RIGHT NOW! He needs to do it before anyone else gets hurt, before anyone else dies...

He should've done something sooner. He should've done something yesterday, or the day before, or the day before that. HE COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS. HE COULD HAVE PREVENTED IT ALL. "It's my fault... It's my fault... It's my fault..."

/Here's a song that really fits rain on utopia: