Chapter 2

She kept her eyes trained on Nicky as he fixed himself a bowl of cereal, Adam had already left for what she assumed was the gym as all of intelligence had the day off.

Nicky was always in motion wether it was drumming his fingers on the table or jiggling his leg, he just couldn't sit still.

Kim had spent most of the morning googling ADHD and she was certain Nicky had it, she had inkling Adam had it as well and she suspected that was why he had completely dismissed it.

"Hey..my dad around?" Adam asked after hugging Deborah.

"In the garage tinkering on that car again" she smiled, "how's my grandson?"

"He's good, he's got a baseball game tomorrow..you guys coming?" He asked.

"We wouldn't miss it" she smiled.

Adam could hear his dad muttering in the garage, he was in the process of restoring a '68 Corvette and it was driving him nuts.

"Hey pops" Adam hopped up the work bench, "how's it going?"

Bob slid out from underneath the car, his face covered in grease. He stood up and wiped his hands on a towel, "It's not" he huffed tossing the rag on the counter, "what brings you by?"

"No reason" Adam offered.

Bob cocked his head to the side, "Bullshit. You never just drop in..what's up?"

He'd spent the night thinking back on his childhood and couldn't help but wonder if Nicky's difficulties were his fault.

"I was a pain in the ass as a kid, right?" Adam asked.

Bob pulled a face, unsure of why he was asking such a question, "Aren't all kids?" He teased.

"I'm serious dad" Adam huffed, "Nick's teacher...she's planted a bug in Kim's ear"

"What kind of bug?" Bob grabbed a Gatorade from the small fridge in the garage, "you want one?"

"Nah" Adam declined, "She claims he's got ADHD and that's why he's always in trouble"

Bob leaned back against the counter, "What?"

"Yeah, that was my reaction to it as well" Adam hopped down from the counter, "says he's impulsive and can't focus. That he's a distraction to the other kids" Adam explained as he fiddled with a wrench that was on the shelf.

Bob nodded, "sounds like a kid being a kid to me" he shrugged, "and it does sound a lot like you, shit Adam I was constantly getting called to the school" he laughed, "shoulda had my own office"

Raising Adam virtually on his own had been difficult and many nights Bob wanted to scream, and some days he wanted to be anything but a father. He loved Adam with all of his heart and soul and was proud that despite all of his mistakes, Adam had turned into a good man and a great father.

His ex-wife was a joke of a mother and as a kid Adam had struggled without her, always questioning why she didn't love him enough to stay in his life.

It was a miracle that Adam had turned out as well as he had.

Bob clapped his son on the back, "Don't worry so much about it, Nick's a good boy, he'll be fine"

Of all the universities in the United States of America her son just had to pick DePaul University.

The last place she wanted to be was Chicago, it had been years since she stepped foot in that city and it was filled with nothing but regret and mistakes made.