Chapter 22

The incessant vibrating sound as the phone slid across the night stand woke Kim, the clock letting her know that even the sun was still sleeping, nothing good was going to come from this call.

As usual Adam was out cold, his arm pinning her to the bed, the man would sleep through anything, "Adam...honey wake up. Your phone is blowing up"

He grumbled something in his sleep and rolled on to his side turning his back to Kim releasing the hold he had on her. She leaned over him, leaning on his side as she grabbed his phone, "Hello?"

She could hear heavy breathing and voices in the background, "Hello? Who is this.."

Sylvia took a deep breath, she had hoped it would've been Adam who answered the phone, "It's Sylvia...I need Adam" she forced out.

"He's asleep" Kim sat up in the bed, "What's this about?"

Sylvia leaned against the counter she needed all the help she could get to stay on her feet, "It's Alex"

"Hang on" Her anger with her mother in law subsiding as she nudged Adam.

"Adam...wake up...it's Alex..your mother is on the phone" she turned the light on and she watched as Adam struggled to make sense of what she had just said.

His eyes finally popped open, "What's wrong?" His voice was thick from sleep and he still wasn't fully aware of what was going on, Kim pushed the phone into his hand.

"Your mother!"

Adam cleared his throat, "Something happen?" He sat up further in the bed, "alright...calm down. I'm on my way"

Kim watched as Adam tossed the phone on the bed and got up and got dressed, "It's Alex..a patrol unit picked him up"

Kim felt some relief wash over her, she'd been worried they all had. It was as if Alex had fallen off the face of the earth, "Where is he? Was he arrested...is he okay?" Her questions coming out in rapid fire.

Adam went to her, "Calm down..He's at the hospital, undergoing a psych evaluation"

"What?" Kim's eyes grew as big as saucers.

"Yea...they found him sitting on the edge of a bridge..he started asking them if they thought it would hurt if he jumped..." Adam pulled the shirt over his head, "I gotta get to the hospital"

She kneeled on the bed and pulled him to her, "Of course...go. Will you call me once you know more...please?"

He stole a quick kiss, "Absolutely"

"I wasn't gonna jump!" Alex was indignant, his skin crawling as he sat in the tiny room, he knew he was in the midst of withdrawals.

"Seriously?" Dr.Charles glared at him, "don't bullshit a bullshitter, Alex. Talk to me...what's got you so wound up?"

Alex lifted the paper cup from the table and took a sip, it had become warm and it was disgusting but it was wet and it soothed the burn in his throat, "I fucked everything up...school, baseball, my girlfriend...everything it's fucking ruined"

He curled his lip and rested his arms on the table as he leaned forward in his chair, "Alex, I don't think it's as bad as you think"

Alex released a soft laugh, "Uh..I told my girlfriend I'd borrow money from my brother for an abortion, then broke my hand on a wall and flushed my baseball future down the the shitter...it's as bad as I think it is"

"Nope, you're alive, and you've got a family" he pointed out, "your mother is in the waiting room, and I'm sure your brother Adam will be here soon"

Adam found his mother hunched over in a chair, "Mom?" The word felt funny as he spoke, it had been twenty plus years since he had called someone 'Mom' and it surprised him.

Sylvia's head snapped up and she raced towards her son, "Adam...he was going to jump...he's been using....it's all my fault" her chest heaving as she spoke.

Adam placed his hand on his mother's elbow and led her back to the rows of chairs and set, "Tell me what you know"

She took a big breath and closed her eyes as she expelled the air from her lungs, willing herself to speak.

"I got a phone call about an hour before I called you that he'd been picked up and brought here" she pointed to the floor, "I had no idea why..it was when I got here that they told me he was sitting on the bridge" the thought caused a chill to run down her spine, "He was asking strange questions...he wanted to know if it would hurt..so the cops brought him in for an evaluation"

"What's he using?" Adam stared at his feet.

"Not sure. Think heroin but I can't be positive...he was hooked on the OxyContin he was given for his hand...it's all my fault."

Adam turned to face her and for the first time he could ever remember he saw pain and fear in his mother's eyes, "It's not your fault..."

She chuckled, "Yes it is, but thank you for being kind. Lord knows I don't deserve your kindness..."

He leaned back in the chair ignoring her last statement, he felt her hand rest on his thigh, "Adam..I know you don't believe me but I love you...I loved you from the day I learned I was pregnant with you. The moment I held you in my arms I knew I could never love anyone as much as I loved you"

Adam held his hand up, "It's not the time"

Sylvia waved him off, "Yes it is, it's actually long overdue. I was an addict...I am an addict" she corrected herself, she'd been going to AA meetings since Alex went into his tailspin, "I lost myself in my addictions and ended up ruining our relationship, I'll never forgive myself for the way I hurt you and I don't expect you to either. I just need you to know I'm sorry, I love you Adam..so much" she flicked the tears away.

Adam felt an undeniable yearning in his gut, as a kid he longed to hear his mother profess her love for him and she never did. Hearing it now was like a knife to his chest, he turned to face her, "through all of it I loved you..I just wanted you to love me back" his eyes tear filled.

"Baby.." Sylvia pulled him into her arms, she could feel his body tremble, "I'm so sorry Adam..you have no idea how sorry I am."

--NOTE---

This one has really stumped me, I'm just gonna wrap a few things up and call this one done..

One chapter remaining, then I'll be taking a break. Hopefully season 4 won't be such a clusterfuck..

If you haven't seen last nights Chicago PD consider yourself lucky, and I advise you to bring bleach for the last scene...

Gross!

UNEDITED (due to my complete lack of faith in this chapter..sorry!)