Chapter 6

FOUR MONTHS LATER

Adam brought in the last tray of food, and set it on the table. Kim was frantically running around the catering hall making sure everything was where it should be.

He quickly grabbed her hand as she tried to race by, "Are you alright?" He asked her, a confused look spread across her face, "c'mon its me Kim, you don't have to pretend. It sucks"

She squeezed his hand, "yea, but they're our friends, Adam. She'd do it for me" she said wistfully, "I'm okay...I promise"

"Alright" Adam nodded, knowing it wouldn't help anyone if he pressed the issue, "I dropped Nick of at the baseball clinic" he told her as he walked alongside her, "don't have to pick him up until seven"

"Okay" her eyes trained on the clipboard in her hand, she was in serious party planning mode, Erin protested the idea of a baby shower, but finally gave in to Kim's demands.

"Well, this party ends at 3" he teased, "leaves us plenty of time for some fun"

Kim laughed, "Adam, I'm sleeping for days when this party ends..sorry!" She stood on her toes and kissed his cheek before racing off to finish another task.

"Fun!" Adam mumbled.

Nick was amazed at the baseball field, he'd been to Cubs games with his dad but never was he on the field, sure the field here wasn't as impressive but it was way better than the PAL fields  that was for sure.

He dropped his bat bag in the dug out and followed his group leader out to the third base line where they'd run a few drills.

Nick scanned the other boys, as expected he was the smallest in his age group but he knew what he lacked in size he made up for in talent, he could hear a couple of the boys making fun of him. He turned his back to them and started stretching, he'd learned the quickest way to shut them up was to let his abilities speak for himself, and that was exactly what he was going to do,

"Ruzek!" He heard his name being called, he spotted one of the coaches on the pitchers mound, "you're pitching"

He tossed him the ball, "Thanks" Nick caught it and began warming up.

"You've got good form kid" he remarked as he watched Nick start his wind up, "just take it easy..save the heat for the game"

Nick nodded and turned his attention back to the catcher.

"Alright...your work here is done" Kim joked as she pushed Adam and Jay out the door, "ladies only" she kissed Adam quickly on the mouth.

"Fine we're going" Adam laughed, "I love you"

"I love you Erin!" Jay called out over his shoulder, "we will be back soon"

Nick swished the water around in his mouth before spitting it out, "How's your arm?"

"It's good" Nick said as he rubbed his shoulder.

"I'm Alex" he shook Nicky's hand, "I don't think I've seen a kid as young as you pitch like that, you're pretty amazing"

Nick nodded his head, hearing Adam's voice in his head telling him to remain modest, "thanks, I'm not that good though" he shrugged.

"Bullshit" Alex laughed, "you're really good. I've helped at a lot of these clinics and I've never seen anyone as young as you, be that good"

"So, what're we hoping for boy or girl?" Trudy asked as they wrapped up the baby shower, the gifts had all been opened. All of the food consumed, they were just waiting on Adam and Jay to return.