Chapter 19

ONE WEEK LATER

She lined the bottles up on the counter, along with the empty pill bottles she knew she needed to get through to him before she lost him to addiction.

She had seen first hand how addiction could destroy you and those you loved. Her addiction cost her everything, she lost her son. Thankful for second chances, she knew she couldn't let Alex down the same road.

Alex's world was falling down around him, she knew that and her heart broke for him but she knew he needed tough love.

"You need to call me!" Adam barked into leaving yet another voicemail for his little brother, he slammed his phone down on the desk.

Drawing a glance from Atwater, "Ruzek? You alright?" He put his pen down and turned his attention to his friend, "you seem agitated"

Adam leaned back in the chair, "It's my brother he's gone MIA, we found out his girlfriend is pregnant"

"Congrats man," Kevin smiled reaching out to shake his hand, "Uncle Adam..bet you never thought you'd hear that" he chuckled, even though Halstead's kids called them all uncle, it was more referencing  the fact that until about eight months ago Adam had no idea he had a brother.

Adam laughed nervously, "Well, if Kim has it her way...it'll be dad" he had to admit the idea intrigued him, but he wasn't about to put the cart before the horse, Ashley didn't seem all that interested in Kim and him adopting her baby.

"What? You're gonna adopt it?" Kevin was obviously surprised.

Adam got up from his desk and grabbed a file from the cabinet, "Kim thinks we should, Ashley hasn't said much though..."

"Well, I know Kim..she's probably already planning for the kid" he said softly, "I just hope she doesn't end up with a broken heart"

Adam nodded, "Me too, Kevin"

Try as he might he couldn't get Kim to slow down, she had baby on the brain and he knew she was already thinking of names and themes for the nursery.

Alex finally stumbled through the door, his head pounding he was in the throes of a serious hangover.

"It's about time" Sylvia announced, the bottles lined up on the counter, "we need to talk, Alex. I'm worried"

He groaned, "I'm fine Mom..."

"No, you aren't. When was the last time you went to class?"

Alex grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, "I dunno"

She handed him the bottle of aspirin, "What about your brother...have you spoken to him?"

He laughed, "That's funny, you're asking about Adam. Why're you freaking out?" He gulped down the two pills.

She rested her palms on the countertop, "I've been down this road, Alexander and it doesn't work...it just ruins all the good in your life." She said wistfully.

He kissed her cheek, "I'm fine..."

"Is it weird?"'Ashley asked taking a bite from the muffin, "because I can't stop thinking about it"