Chapter 17

Pregnant.

His life flashed before his eyes, gone was the dream he carried with him since he was five years old, it was replaced with busting his ass to make minimum wage.

Instead he envisioned diapers and baby bottles, cribs and tears, lots of them. Not only the tears of their unborn child, but his own. He wasn't anywhere close to ready to be a father, and he was certain it was the same for Ashley.

They'd hooked up in a moment where he wanted to shut out the world, he wanted to escape all of it.

They didn't bother with a condom, she claimed to be on the pill.

He suddenly felt nauseous, "You're on the pill...at least you said you were!" He sputtered.

"I was Alex..I swear I was" she cried, "I didn't do this on purpose, you've got to believe me" her hand hovering over her flat belly, she knew it was just a matter of a few months and the whole world would know. She refused to even consider an abortion and she knew she wasn't ready to be a mother.

Alex stalked around the small room, "What the hell are going to do? I can't be a father...I've got baseball.."

She was angered by his words, "I've got school...Medical school Alex..." She reminded him, he'd lose nothing. Everything would change for her, and he was the one bitching.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, "I'll pay" he stopped pacing and turned to face her, "I can ask my brother, he'll loan me the money.."

"For what?" Surely he wasn't suggesting what she thought he was.

"An abortion" he said matter of factly, "I can't be a father..I can't have a kid. Not now"

The words had barely left his lips and she was already out the door, Alex could feel his anger and fear bubble to the surface, in a moment of frustration he put his hand through the wall.

A burst of pain exploded throughout his hand, "Fuck me!" He screamed when he realized he may have just ruined his season.

Certain his hand was broken, his knuckles already swelling and it was impossible to curl his hand into a fist.

"Who was it?" Nick asked as Kim helped him get settled into bed, he'd overdid it at Alex's baseball game and his stomach was still queasy and he'd thrown up once more since getting home.

"No one" Kim told him, tucking the blankets under his chin, "at least no one you need to worry about"

"Dad was angry..does he know her?" He rubbed his eyes, "he told me to go right to my bedroom...is she bad?" He was constantly worried about Adam's safety at work, they knew he had very vague memories of what had happened with Kim and Sean Roman when he was little.

Kim knew she needed to give him something, that he wouldn't rest until his curiosity was settled some, "She's someone that daddy knows, that's it. Nothing for you to worry about"

He exhaled, "Alright..G'night"

Adam was getting dressed when Kim returned to the room, he just hung up with Alex and put his phone in his back pocket, "Kim, I gotta go. Alex had some kind of fight with Ashley..he punched the wall...he thinks he broke his hand. I'm gonna run him up to the hospital"

Kim wrapped her arms around him as he stood before her, "You're okay?"

He cocked his head to the side, and took her hand in his staring at her wedding ring, "I'm not happy she showed up on our doorstep...but I'm fine" he told her, "I'm a little worried about Alex, he didn't sound good on the phone"