Chapter 7

The sun was hot as it beat down on the field, it was the last day of the clinic and was culminating in a tournament between the different teams.

Alex was loving every minute of it, Nick was kicking ass on the mound and in the batters box, he'd drawn the attention of every coach at the clinic and the DePaul's baseball team's coach.

He was definitely in the spotlight and Nicky was eating it up.

"How old is this kid?" An older man asked as held the radar gun.

"You'll never believe it" another laughed, "kid is 8, eight fucking years old and he's already throwing in the 70's, his fastball will hit 90 before his balls grow hair" he laughed.

"He's special" the coach from DePaul remarked, "if I could get him to sign a letter of intent I would, he's special"

Kim shifted on the bleachers, the metal was quickly warming up and left a lot to be desired, she was focused on her son who now stood in the batters box, "He looks so tiny Adam.."

Adam rubbed her thigh, "Babe, he's fine"

"That pitcher is twice the size of him, how's that fair?"

Adam laughed, "Kim, you know our boy. His size won't stop him"

Nick stepped out of the box and hit his cleats with his bat to clear the clay from them, he adjusted his cup before stepping back in.

"I wish he wouldn't do that" Kim grumbled, she cringed every time Adam or Nick adjusted 'their junk', "it's not going anywhere" she mumbled.

"Babe, your try moving with your balls stuck to your thigh" he laughed as he kissed her temple, "he's just making sure the boys are safe...he's gotta repopulate the world one day"

Kim pretended to gag, "Adam, that's gross. Don't talk about my baby like that"

They watched as Nick fouled off a few pitches, the pitcher and catcher met on the mound for a meeting, leaving Nicky to scan the crowd for his parents, he waved when he found them.

"I love you baby!" Kim called out, and even from where they say, it was easy to see the blush that filled Nicky's cheeks.

"Good job Darlin', embarrass him in front of the guys" he teased as he leaned in for a kiss, only for the collective gasping of the crowd pulling them apart.

Adam's eyes shifted to the field, his whole world stopping when his eyes landed on Nick lying in a crumpled heap in the dirt.

"What happened?" Adam asked, Kim in a state of shock.

A woman beside him answered, "the pitch hit him in the chest...and he dropped like a sack of potatoes" her voice shaky, "do you know him?"

Adam gulped, "He's my son"

---NOTE---
This is massive cliffhanger I know..but I'll be out most of the day and wanted to get this posted, it's short, like really short but that just adds to the drama.