Chapter 1

Chapter 1:
All Too Familiar Voice

The bright yet comfortable rays of the setting sun brushed through Oikawa's chocolate-brown locks as he gently nuzzled the side of his head against the car's window.

He couldn't help but notice the pleasing sceneries he passed by as he listened to his favorite playlist on his iTouch.

It was a very long and quiet drive to the venue, and Oikawa was just sitting at ease in the back seat, while his trusted driver drove him.

Despite having one ear pod plugged in his left ear, Oikawa could still hear the loud beating of his heart. It grew louder and faster knowing that he's inching closer to his destination.

His mind wandered as he stared aimlessly outside. Oikawa was cut off from his train of thoughts when he heard his phone ring.

He let out an annoyed huff as he groped for it inside his suit's compartment. Kageyama Tobio's name flashed on the screen. He slid it right and answered the call.

"Where are you?" A stern voice greeted him, sending chills down Oikawa's spine. He bit his lower lip as he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"I'm on my way Tobio." He replied nonchalantly.

Though Oikawa is very familiar with Kageyama's calm and collected demeanor, he sure knew that he was starting to get in the young lad's nerves. "Oh c'mon Oi! You already missed the wedding ceremonies! Being on time in the reception is the least you could do!"

Oikawa's eyes fluttered close as he heaved a deep sigh. "Is he there?" He gulped as he asked, not knowing if he's ready for Kageyama's answer or not.

"Of course he is." He stated matter-of-factly. "Don't tell me he's the reason the thought of ditching Suga and Daichi's wedding crossed your mind."

Oikawa just pursed his lips, knowing that arguing with Kageyama right now would be pointless. He is right after all.

"I'm already at the entrance! I have to hang up! Bye!" He exclaimed hastily as he dropped the call. Oikawa smiled at his driver genuinely as he opened the door for him.

He immediately gripped the laced box beside him and stepped outside. Taking a deep breath as he eyed the beach.

It was as if his heart was in a race, it beat erratically as he grew uncomfortable with the feeling. The gush of wind from the cold sea breeze making things much worse.

His feet brought him inside the reception area by the shores, his head hung low. He kicked practically every pebble he passed, trying to distract himself from the unpleasant, yet imminent meeting, which, with just the right amount of misfortune, which he undeniably had, was bound to happen.

"Oikawa!" A deep, yet youthful voice made him look up, and he headed to the direction from which the voice came, and to where the owner of the voice was standing.

"Kunimi," he hissed as his lips curved into a smile, pleased with the sight of his former teammate. At Kunimi's back were two young lads: one raven-haired boy flashing a stoic look and a vibrant looking guy, beaming at him while brushing his bright orange locks.

"Finally! You're here!" Shōyō exclaimed lowering his vodka martini in the table as he approached Oikawa.

"Hi there shrimpy!" Oikawa beamed, averting his gaze from Hinata to Kageyama. "What's with that look? I'm already here, Tobio-chan!"

"You jerk!" Kageyama smacked his left shoulder eliciting a wince of pain from Oikawa. "You're still mean as ever!" Oi retorted.

"I thought you'd never come!" Kunimi grunted, arching his brow and crossing his arms in front of him.

Oikawa chuckled nervously as he spoke, "I thought so, too."

"But hey, I couldn't miss Daichi and Suga's wedding! Speaking of, where are they?"

"There!" Hinata pointed at the two and Oikawa immediately excused himself as he headed towards them.

A soothing genre of music from the orchestra enveloped the atmosphere and the guests started dancing, crowding the centermost part of the bay.

Oikawa just chuckled as he snapped his fingers to the beat, not losing sight of the newly-wedded couple.

"Hey, lovebirds!" Oikawa greeted, catching the attention of the two, who acknowledged his presence warmly.

"Captain! Nice to see you!" Daichi happily exclaimed as he enveloped Oikawa into a brotherly hug.

"Nice to see you too, Captain!"

"I thought you'd never come, Oi." The soft-spoken Sugawara sighed in relief.

"Of course I'd come! It's your big day! Congratulations you two!" He squealed like a three-year old child as he extended his present to the couple.

"Congratulations as well on your game yesterday! You're still conditioned as ever! Fifty excellent sets in a three-set match? Just another day in the office for Oikawa Tōru." Daichi lauded as Oikawa chuckled heartily.

"I'm so glad that you're still living up to the 'Great King' moniker! You are really making us setters proud!" Sugawara stated, earning a series of chuckles from Daichi and Oikawa.

"Excuse me sir! Milk bread for Oikawa Tōru!" A jolly dark-toned young man wearing a fancy waiter's outfit butted in with a plate of milk bread on his serving tray, much to Oikawa's delight.

"Wow!" Oikawa exclaimed. "You two were surely expecting me! Even including my favorite meal in the menu!"

Daichi and Sugawara exchanged uneasy looks as Oikawa munched on his milk bread happily.

"Oi! That's not on the menu." Daichi confided. "Maybe there's someone who ordered it for you."

Oikawa's brows arched as he pouted his lips. "Who would order a milk bread especially for me at your wedding?" He asked the two disbelievingly as they shrugged their shoulders and chuckled.

"Hi." A deep voice coming from behind swooped in, making Oikawa's eyes widen. He didn't realize that he already dropped the milk bread he was holding which was now covered in the fine white sands of the beach.

The beating of his heart lurched into a stop. He felt everything around him freeze. The deep and calm voice was immediately recognized by his senses.

He didn't need to turn around to know who the owner of the voice was. He knew, and he knew because it was the very same voice that was with him through all the highs and lows in his life.

It was his constant source of strength. And after three years, he didn't know that the very same voice would still have the same effect on him as it did at the very beginning.

Oikawa's jaw clenched, and his fists balled up so tightly that he was sure his nails would leave imprints on his palms. And with all the hatred he felt for him for the last three years, he spat out his name like poison.

"Iwaizumi Hajime."

•••

Chapters 2-11 are flashbacks. Please don't get confused.