Chapter 21

Chapter 21:
Letters To That Special Someone

Iwaizumi paced hastily around the room. His thoughts trailing off once more, as tears cascaded down his cheeks. He settled himself on the window sofa; the ray of sunlight that seeped through the drapes gave his tears a crystal-like impression.

He hugged the throw pillow to his chest, as Iwaizumi silently cried. His eyes were fixated on the sun creeping slowly into view. It was a sight to behold, but it was unappreciated because of the heavy feeling in Iwaizumi's chest.

He was still staring aimlessly at the horizon. His eyes were puffy and the thick layer of skin under them voiced out the fact that he didn't get so much sleep the night before.

Faint knocks on his door snapped him out of his reverie. He swiveled his head towards the door frame, where little Czari entered his room. Iwaizumi opened his arms, as he hugged Czari tight, planting a small kiss on her forehead as the little girl shrieked, "Daddy, you're here! When did you arrive?"

"Just this morning," Iwaizumi faked a smile, his fingers brushing Czari's curls. "Belated happy birthday, baby."

"Thank you, Daddy!" Iwaizumi carefully put her down, as he stooped down to her level and patted her head lightly.

"You should eat your breakfast now. Off you go." He waved his right hand at Czari, who tilted her head to the side and pouted.

"How about you, Daddy?"

"Daddy's still full. I'll just eat later, okay?" Czari nodded her head lightly as she danced in circles while heading out.

Iwaizumi heaved a deep breath, as he watched his daughter's retreating figure. He closed the door behind her, as his peripheral vision caught the glimpse of a box, sitting idly on top of his bedside table.

It was the box Oikawa's grandmother gave him last night. Iwaizumi mindlessly brought himself to get the box. He was holding it tight in his hands for quite some time, until his tears drenched its cover. He harshly wiped them away and sat on the window sofa once more, removing the lid as he took out the first thing he saw inside it.

 He harshly wiped them away and sat on the window sofa once more, removing the lid as he took out the first thing he saw inside it

It was a picture of him and Oikawa when they were young.

April 26, 2000 - the date the photo was taken. Iwaizumi stared at it for quite a while as a faint chuckle escaped from his lips. Silly poses became Oikawa's trademark, and it never changed - Iwaizumi never bothered because he looked cute anyway.

Iwaizumi's attention was caught by the letters underneath the photo. The box was full of them. He took one out and shoved the photo inside his pocket, opening the letter as tears started edging his eyes again.

October 29, 2019

It's been a week since I left. It's been a week since I came here. I didn't even say goodbye. I didn't want to say goodbye.