Chapter 10

Chapter 10:
Always Did, Always Will

"When the bus comes, will you load our stuff? I'm gonna go get everyone else." Oikawa's hand landed on his hips, as he gave instructions to one of his teammates.

The dark-haired lad nodded his head in response and Oikawa headed straight to the dugout.

He had only made a few steps when he stopped dead in his tracks; a startled look registered on his face, but he was quick to mask it up, replacing it with a stoic one.

A very tall guy - probably around 189 cm - with a large physique, sporting his maroon and white-tinted varsity jacket blocked Oikawa's path. The rays of the setting sun brushed through his olive locks, his intimidating features emphasized even more by the sunlight.

The guy's aura screamed of regality and confidence. He has this forbearing facade that you wouldn't wanna mess with. His resting bitch face would surely scare the hell out of everyone - but this wasn't the case for Oikawa.

Oikawa's lips broke into a huge grin, his brows arched as he tried to mock the guy in front of him. Wakatoshi Ushijima curled his fists tightly as he threw his dagger looks at Oikawa.

The two remained silent for a while, examining each other. Not a single word was uttered until Oikawa cocked his brows, as if asking Ushijima what his concern was.

Ushijima didn't bother to talk to him, and Oikawa deemed that exchanging mean looks with the guy in front of him would be a waste of time. He finally passed through him but froze in his tracks when Ushijima started to speak up.

"This is a warning, Oikawa." Oikawa scoffed at the look of derision probably registered on Ushijima's face. "Don't choose the wrong path again."

The deep and stern voice of Ushijima was starting to get on Oikawa's nerves. He gritted his teeth as he thought of running away, but decided that what Ushijima might say would be interesting.

"You chose the wrong path. There was a place where you could have realized your true potential. Because of your worthless pride, you didn't choose it." Ushijima declared, making Oikawa realize that the one wrong decision he made a few years ago cost him his dreams of a championship.

Oikawa was already vexed, but he was able to keep his cool nonetheless. He shrugged his shoulders and replied, "So, you're trying to tell me that I should have gone to Shiratorizawa instead of Seijoh, right? No team is guaranteed victory."

"If nothing else, I can say that my team is the strongest one here." Ushijima retorted with full conviction, making Oikawa turn around and face him.

Oikawa stared at him with a blank expression as his eyes grew wide. He was a little bit slow in processing everything Ushijima said.

"Wow! I see you're still laughably confident!" Oikawa divulged with a scornful expression. His lips broke into a wide smile, the kind of smile that would insult anyone who got to see it.

"Worthless pride, huh?" Oikawa emphasized every word he uttered, his voice was soft, yet audible enough for Ushijima to hear. "That's true."

"Listen to me, Ushijima." Oikawa went from being insulting to being too serious, making Ushijima fume in rage as his eyebrows arched in anger.

He was listening intently to what Oikawa had to say. He clenched his fists even tighter, so tight that there would probably be imprints left there later. "I never thought my decision was wrong, and my volleyball career hasn't ended at all. Don't you ever forget my worthless pride."

"Oh and yeah..." Oikawa smiled as his mood brightened up, stirring confusion within Ushijima, "...if you keep all of your attention on me, you're going to get stabbed from the direction you least expect."