Chapter 3

Chapter 3:
The Best In Me

Oikawa shut his eyes and covered both his ears with his hands - his actions were brought upon by the loud clanging in the room.

His eyes widened as he saw the shards of glass scattered all over the floor. "Oikawa-kun? Are you all right there, Honey?" Iwaizumi's mom asked with a hint of concern in her voice.

"Yes Iwaizumi-san, I'm perfectly fine. I just broke a wine glass here. Sorry!" He assured her as he stooped down and began to gather the fragments in his hand.

"You should be more careful next time dear!" He heard his mom shout from the dining area and Oikawa just chuckled at his own clumsiness.

"Shit!" He cussed under his breath as he squeezed his index finger, staring blankly at the cut one of the fragments made.

He heard footsteps heading towards the kitchen until in peripheral vision, he caught the sight of his best friend, standing right behind him.

Iwaizumi bent down to Oikawa's level and gently grabbed his wounded finger. "Let me see." He hissed as he looked at Oikawa's cut, a look of concern written all over his face.

Oikawa was caught off guard when Iwaizumi sipped the little amount of blood coming from the cut. "You should be more careful next time," he reprimanded. His stern voice sending chills down Oikawa's spine.

"Why are you so clumsy?" Iwaizumi arched his brows as his met Oikawa's gaze, the latter was just staring back at him, unable to utter a single word.

Iwaizumi reached for the first aid kit in his far-left, taking out wads of cotton and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Oikawa grimaced at the sight of the alcohol and started whining like a child.

"Iwa-chan! No alcohol!" Iwaizumi rolled his eyes at Oikawa's expense as he moistened a ball of cotton with the liquid. "Iwa!" Oikawa squealed again in a pleading manner, earning a glare from the boy in front of him.

Iwaizumi dabbed and brushed the cotton gently against the wound, tears already threatened to fall from Oikawa's hazel eyes. "You blow! You blow!" Oikawa sniffed as his vision became blurry with his tears.

"Okay, okay geez!" Iwa let out a huff of annoyance as he agreed to Oikawa's request. "Quit whining like a baby. It's very irritating!"

"You're so mean!" Oikawa retorted, wiping the tears away with his other hand. "You're so mean! Nye nye!" Iwa mocked, as he earned a disappointed look from Oikawa.

Iwaizumi helped Oikawa stand up as he finished cleaning up the mess he made a while ago. Oikawa just stared at him blankly, unable to hide the shock and the eerie feeling he felt due to Iwaizumi's unexpectedly sweet actions.

"C'mon, let's finish dinner." Oikawa followed his best friend back to the dining area where they found their parents still conversing on various topics.

"Took you long enough." Oikawa's father joshed, a smug look on his face. Oikawa and Iwaizumi sat across each other as they finished the food left on their plates.

"So, what are your plans for High School Iwaizumi-kun?" Oikawa's mother asked.

"I plan to go to Aobajōsai, Oikawa-san!" The young lad beamed, showing feelings of excitement.

"Wow! That's another powerhouse school!" Oikawa's mom squealed. "So you'll be going separate ways for the first time eh?" She added, averting her gaze from Iwaizumi to her son.

Iwaizumi's eyes widened at her statement as he eyed his best friend, his look asking for confirmation.

"Oikawa here is thinking of going to Shiratorizawa! He passed the test he took last week and their volleyball club is already expecting his services." Oikawa's father stated.