Chapter 17

Chapter 17:
You Were Mine To Lose

Oikawa couldn't believe his eyes. He shifted his weight onto one leg, as he tightly gripped the sides of his trench coat. His eyes glistened so bright they could rival the moonlight.

"How's my baby girl?" Iwaizumi stooped down to her level, as he enveloped her into a tight embrace. The girl's little hands draped around her father's neck as well, tears edging her eyes. Oikawa could tell that they rarely see each other, judging by the warmth of their hug, it looked as if it had been a month since their last meeting.

"I'm good, Daddy, how about you?" The little girl pursed her lips,  planting  a soft peck on Iwaizumi's waiting lips, and the scene melted Oikawa's heart.

"Daddy's great."

Oikawa's eyes averted from Iwaizumi and the child to the woman sitting on top of the bed, where a familiar face regarded him. She has dark, black hair that fell just a little below her shoulders and a distinct mole on the lower left side of her chin. Just like him, the woman wore glasses, and had a beautiful pair of gray eyes under them.

For a split-second, there seemed to be a perplexed look on Oikawa's face, but it disappeared as soon as it came, and he replaced it with a warm smile. "Kiyoko-san," the woman smiled back, she bobbed her head faintly, acknowledging her old friend. Her hands were placed tight on top of her lap, and Oikawa couldn't help but chuckle at how she was able to retain that 'prim and proper' demeanor of her's after all these years.

Oikawa's gaze swiveled around the room. It was coated with pastel-pink colors, the bright hue was surely sleep-inducing and Oikawa yawned a bit. There were Hello Kitty stickers plastered on one corner of the room, Oikawa tilted his head to the side, as a nostalgic smile registered on his face. I love Hello Kitty, he thought.

Stuffed animals were on her bed, and a blanket with a furry texture that had a huge, rainbow unicorn sewn neatly on it covered them. On the side, just below the air conditioner, was a small, pink table, on top of which sat a bunny lampshade and a set of thirty-four broken crayons. There was pinboard on the wall with brightly colored sticky notes and cute fuzzy drawings - almost scribbles - attached to it.

The pungent smell of milk and baby powder overwhelmed the room, its scent was so familiar to him that it reminded Oikawa of the first time he held his nephew in his arms. Oikawa continued to admire the cute details of the room, which was messy, but for a toddler's room it was passingly neat. Oikawa was already lost in his presence for quite some time, the gleeful and slim voice that bellowed snapping him off his reverie. "Who is he, Daddy?" The little girl finally noticed his presence, flailing her index finger at him, as she tilted her head to the side, a look of wonder and awe written all over her face.

"This is your Uncle Oikawa, he's a good friend of Daddy," Iwaizumi looked over his shoulder as a warm smile creased his lips. He pressed them together as he looked at his daughter, who was studying Oikawa from head to toe. "Oji-chan?" The little girl twiddled with her fingers as she flashed Oikawa the warmest smile he had ever seen.

"Yeah, you can call me that." Oikawa bent down until his face leveled hers, a smile tracing his lips. His heart was moved when the little girl imprisoned him in her tiny hands, her little fingers fondled with his brown locks as she giggled. "Let's be friends!" Iwa's daughter squealed, her voice was so pitchy that it made Oikawa cringe a little bit. "Sure!" a smile crossed his mouth when he inhaled the sweet strawberry scent almost identical to his.

"What's your name?" Oikawa broke free from their hug, he looked at the little girl with sparkly eyes as she beamed at him.

"Czawi!" She was quick to respond, her hands clapping as she danced in circles around Oikawa.