Four

I haven't spoken one word to Newt or Minho since last night. I didn't talk to either of them during breakfast. When they sat near me I got up and left. I'm still mad at them. I would have been fine not talking to either of them, if it weren't for the fact that Newt works with the Track-Hoes. Which is where I need to work today.
Zart, Keeper, told me to pull some weeds out from the ground. I didn't question it.

"Still not talking to me?" I heard Newt. I didn't reply and kept working. "I'll take that as a no."

I rolled my eyes and kept pulling the weeds out. I thought Newt would take a hint and leave, but he decided to pluck the vegetables that were near me. I tried not to blush at the closeness, I'm still mad. I tried to pull the last weed out so I could finish and do another task, but it wouldn't budge. I gritted my teeth and pulled it, no luck.

"Do you need some help?" Newt asked. I looked at him and he had his hand over his mouth to hold back his laugh.

I glared at him and tried again. I felt the root come out a bit. I tried again. This time the weed came out and I lost my grip on it. It flew out of my hands and smacked Newt in the face.

I held in my laugh the best that I could, "Oh, my god. I am so sorry, Newt." A little chuckle escaped me.

He wiped the dirt from his face, "That's alright. You got a good shucking laugh and you're finally talking to me." He gave me an amusing smile.

I scoffed, "I'm just apologizing for the dirt to the face. I'm still not talking to you."

"But, you're talking to me right now."

He got me there. This time I didn't say anything and went back to work. I heard Newt sighed and didn't say another word. Maybe he finally realize to leave me alone. I was wrong though, next thing that happened was that I felt dirt hit my face.

I gasped and looked at Newt who help an amused look, "Newt!"

He held his hands up and smiled, "I'm just returning the favor."

"But, mine was an accident. You threw yours on shucking purpose, Shuckface !"

He began chuckling. Alright, two could play this game. I grabbed a handful of the mud and threw it at him. It hit him square in the face. His mouth gaped and I send an innocent smile with a wave.

He grabbed a handful of mud, "You're getting it now, Greenie."

He was getting ready to throw it at me. I shrieked and started running around the Gardens. A few Gladers were giving me a look, but I ignored them. I heard Newt behind me. I grabbed an empty basket and held it in front of me.

"Newt, stop!" I yelled, holding in my chuckle.

"You bloody started it."

I took my chance. I dropped the basket and started running. That didn't last long before I was tackled to the ground. I, then, felt dirt hitting my face. I couldn't hold it in anymore and started laughing, Newt following shortly. My face started hurting.

"Does this mean you forgive me?" Newt asked hopefully.

I chuckled, "Yeah. Just you though. Minho has a lot of klunk to do before I forgive him."

He smiled, "Good that."

I just noticed that he was still on top of me. I cheeks flushed, "Um, Newt, you're still - um - you're still on top of me."

His face began to redden as he got up, "Sorry."

He held his hand down and helped me up. I smiled in thanks.

》》》》

Dinner time. The walls have closed for the day. Frypan handed us mashed potatoes and chicken. I sat next to Newt talking about today until Minho and Liam sat down.

"Hey, Liam." I greeted before going back to my food.

"Come on, Tiger, you're gonna talk to me at some shucking point." Minho tried.

I looked at Newt and Liam, "Did you guys say something?"

Minho groaned, "Cut the klunk, Tiger. You shucking forgave this slinthead." He pointed at Newt.

Newt cut in, "I apologized."

He looked at Liam, "Help me out here."

Liam shrugged his shoulders, "I'm staying out of this one."

Minho sighed, "How about at tomorrow's Gathering...I'll...nominate you to be a Runner?"

I pretended to look shock, "Minho, you're alive. It's a miracle."

"Yeah, whatever...shank." He mumbled, but I could see that little chuckle.

》》》》

Next morning, I kept pacing back and forth near the Box. Minho told me to wait here to hear the news. Would they allow me to be a Runner? What if they didn't? What if they don't because they only see me just the only female here at the Glade that needs to be protected?

My thoughts stopped as I spotted Nick, Alby, and Minho. I held my hands behind my back because they were moving constantly. I kept counting to ten in my head to calm me down. Nick looked at Alby then at Minho.

"So?" I asked.

Alby crossed his arms, "It appears that most of the Keepers wanted you to work with them." I gestured my head to continue before glancing at Minho. "But, somehow, you were nominated to for Runners. Some thought it was a good idea while others thought that it's just a pile of klunk. After a while, after hearing from everyone's perspective, we all took a vote."

I was getting nervous. My nails were digging into my palms.

Nick smiled at me, "Congrats, Greenie. You're joining the Runners."

》》》》

A/N: I'm sorry for this bad short chapter.