The Metro

The Metro. The Big O.

Once the mecca of state commerce, now... still the mecca, but with the added highlight of being a war zone for the fight against the grim. I hadn't seen it myself, but I was told that a northern section of town was fenced, barricaded, and heavily guarded to keep the grim consolidated and under control. Unlike the rest of the state that shot first and went for beer later, the people of the raging Metro took a more lawful approach to things.

On the eve of the city being taken over by the silver saints, the current and still acting mayor dedicated himself to creating a concentration camp to house the overwhelming infestation. Every crystalline dead—as such, inactive—was transported to the quarantined sector, where they were barricaded into buildings. The project only took days to achieve since everyone was more than willing to donate their time and energies to keep themselves safe.

The fully animated glimmer grim were hunted down by a task force made up of veteran military and police officers. In just under a month, the streets were cleaned up and the remaining population was safe to roam, as long as they stayed away from the northern part of the city, which was fine, since they were used to that anyway.

When the occasional break-out occurred, Jimmy the Card kept everyone up to date. He reported grim movements like his predecessors might have reported the weather or the traffic. As the breakouts increased in frequency and severity, the mayor chose to entertain different ways of getting rid of the grim without an all-out execution—which for some reason bothered people. Since it took me a good while to get used to killing them, I couldn't entirely blame them for their prudery.

That was where the tournament idea came from. It was a classic Caesarian misdirection. Hate your life? Hate the grim? Let's kill two birds with one stone. In this case, the competitors get to kill the grim, while the spectators get to enjoy a good show. Plus, there was bound to be hot dogs and beer.