Reality Check

"What the fuck was that?" Haden asked once we were free of the direct onslaught of grim.

"That was the new me," I said, pulling away from August's protective embrace.

"Really? Getting yourself killed is the new you?" Haden yelled. She was precariously standing through Devin's driving, but I knew she wouldn't give up her lording position to sit down and scold me. Her hands were propped on her hips, and she was panting from her exhaustive efforts to clear a path through the grim so August could, once again, save me. Her jaw was clenched tight, but it wasn't anger that I saw behind her narrowed eyes, it was concern.

I missed most of the lead-up to my rescue, but I imagine from their perspective I was on the verge of being overtaken by a massive swarm of demon-propelled bad guys, via the instruction of the kingpin. They must have been tripping over themselves trying to get coordinated to save my ostensibly suicidal ass. Until that moment, I had no idea how much my friends would be willing to risk to save my life.

I looked back at August, who had the same agitation on her face. She couldn't bring herself to look at me. She no doubt blamed herself for my eagerness to prove my worth. "I wasn't trying to kill myself, Haden."

"You could've fucking fooled me!" she griped before settling herself in for the ride.

"I'm sorry," I apologized to the back of her head. "I didn't mean to put you in danger. I was trying to save you."

"You did," August said meekly. "The grim left us alone and swarmed around you. We could have left you behind and saved ourselves." I looked at her with a question on my face that didn't need to be asked, but I couldn't help but think it. She stared at me, finding the mettle to meet me eye to eye. "Never," she said firmly, answering my unspoken question. "I would never let you sacrifice yourself for us. You're too..." She trailed off, but I got the gist of her you-are-so-beautiful-to-me speech.

When Haden finally looked at me, she was back to her usual angry self. "What was that back there anyway? It looked like you were enjoying yourself." I shrugged, not wanting to admit how much I wanted to go back to the viaduct and finish my fight. "You do realize that grim could have snapped your neck with one hand?" she continued to lecture me. "Those old fuckers are fast."

I nodded, but I wasn't sure I agreed. He was obviously going to be a handful, but something told me I might have gotten the better of him. I didn't know why my ego had flared so brightly where he was concerned, but I wasn't going to overanalyze it.

After a few minutes of silence, Haden moved between us and poked her head into the cab. "I want a beer!" she demanded, and Devin immediately started to decelerate to turn around and find a safe bar.