Falling Deeper

For Caitlin, there was nothing more satisfying than finishing the work you had to do just in time to get ready for the date night that would follow. Caitlin let out a sigh of contentment as she closed all the open files on her laptop before shutting it off. Barry would arrive soon and fortunately she just had to put a last touch of make up on her eyes and she would be ready. They had nothing major planned for tonight, just a quiet night in.

She ran to the door as soon as she heard the knock. She took a moment to straighten back her hair before opening the door. Barry was standing in the hallway, a take-out bag in one hand and a board game in the other. Caitlin immediately recognised the latter as being the operation game.

"You once told me you were very bad at this game so I wanted to witness it with my own eyes." Barry explained when he saw her frown. "It's not every day that I can see Dr. Snow being bad at something." He continued while lifting his eyebrows playfully.

She rolled her eyes as she let him come in her apartment. He dropped a small kiss on her lips as he passed by and Caitlin felt a small blush creep up her cheeks. She slightly bit on her lips to keep herself from smiling and grazed her lips with the tips of her finger while Barry wasn't looking. It had been almost a month since they had agreed to take things slow, but she still wasn't really used to Barry kissing her – her heart still did crazy acrobatics every time it happened.

Seriously, she was acting like a high school girl blushing at the thought of her crush. Caitlin closed the door and followed him into her living room.

"I brought Italian food and I have also some movies, in case we get sick of playing doctors – pun intended." He said while putting his things on her coffee table. She rolled her eyes at his comment, something she seemed to be doing a lot more when he was around.

Ten minutes later, they were both sitting on the floor around the coffee table of her living room. They took turn playing the game and eating their food.

"This is not even remotely anatomically correct!" She complained after a shrilling beeping sound came out of the board game for what seemed like the hundredth time. Annoyed, she let go of the tweezers and went back to her spaghetti.

"That's not the point Dr. Snow" Barry chuckled before leaning forward as it was his turn to play.

"Then what is the point?" She groaned, making a face while leaning back against the armchair behind her.

"To have fun!" He said gleefully, showing her proudly the butterfly trapped in the pair of tweezers in his hand. "See, I just took out the butterfly from his stomach so he can now relax."

Caitlin just rolled her eyes and tried again to remove the apple from the patient's throat. The 'Beep!' cut her off as soon as she got close and she let out an exasperated groan. "It's not as easy as it looks."

Barry had to laugh at her competitive character – she was worrying her lower lips with her teeth and the crease between her eyebrows seemed to have settled there for the evening. He was sure that some people would find her behaviour annoying, but he found it endearing. Although, he knew when to stop teasing, so at the end of the game, they put the patient away and settled on her couch.

They ended up watching some cheesy chick flick, Barry sitting on her couch with Caitlin lying on it, her head resting on his laps. He was absent-mindedly stroking her hair while trying to concentrate on the movie, without much success. Caitlin was very calm and silent and he almost thought she had fallen asleep.

That was until she shyly broke the silence. "Barry?"

"Hmm?"

"You know I told you about our family meetings every first Friday of the month?"