DNA Over Coffee

The coffee place was buzzing with people. He wasn't sure he had ever seen so many people at Jitters.

Barry was standing in line, jumping from one foot to the other, energy bubbling inside him and he just couldn't stay put. Today was the first day of his new life. Today he would try to meet his target. Today everything would change. And he could already see her sitting at a table in a corner, reading some paper – she was probably working. According to his file, Dr. Caitlin Snow was a real work-alcoholic.

Barry glanced around him again. He knew half of the people here but he had to pretend not knowing any of them. That was all part of the plan. With the rest of his team, they had decided to crowd Dr. Snow's favourite coffee place with lots of agents undercover, so that Barry would have an excuse to sit at her table. Maybe he would even manage to begin a conversation with her.

It was almost his turn to order when he saw a guy not far from his target. He seemed to hesitate and Barry immediately understood that the man was about to steal his place at Dr. Snow's table.

"Someone distract that guy with the bicycle helmet at my twelve, he's going to steal my place before I can even order my coffee." Barry mumbled discretely in the microphone hidden in his right sleeve.

Not even a second later, he saw Eddie Thawne – one of his co-workers – make his way to the man. "Excuse me sir, but are you the owner of the blue bicycle parked in front of the coffee shop?"

"Hum, yes." He heard the guy reply with surprise. Barry took his order and waited for the coffee, keeping an ear to the exchange. Eddie would handle things.

"Cool! I would have a few questions about it, if you don't mind." The agent continued the conversation, pulling the bicycle-guy away from Dr. Snow's table.

Barry smirked, took his coffee and made his way to the table. As he stood next to her, he cleared his throat to make his presence known. "Hum..." The young doctor looked up in his direction and he almost lost his ability to speak. He wasn't expecting the depth hiding behind her brown eyes. It was breathtaking. Barry cleared his throat again. "Sorry, I wanted to know if the place was free. The whole shop is crowded." He showed her with his free hand.

The young woman nodded after looking around. "Sure. I don't think I ever saw so many people here."

"I know right? There's maybe some celebrity here that I don't know." Barry suggested. "It's not you, is it? Because that would be way too embarrassing." He joked.

Aside from a glance to his face, she didn't even react before going back to her work. Damn, that was off to a great start.

"Once, I told a chemistry joke, there was no reaction." Barry muttered to himself, just loud enough so she could hear him.

He heard a very small and cute snort coming from her direction. He looked up to see a very faint smile drawing itself on her features and Barry's ego inflated. That was good, she didn't seem as closed off as his file had said; he just needed to find her triggers. Apparently nerdy science joke could do the trick.

Barry silently took a seat in front of her and she kept her eyes fixed down on her papers. He glanced at it but couldn't make out what was written on them. He took a sip of coffee and took out some pieces of paper to pretend working too.

He saw her peek curiously at his papers from time to time but he didn't pay much attention – at least he pretended he wasn't. After about ten minutes of silence, Barry began fumbling with his documents and let out a loud sigh that caught the young woman's attention. She arched a brow at him and he replied with an apologetic smile.