Chapter Eleven

I pulled out of the parking lot and made a show of triple checking both directions for oncoming cars. I drove three-under the speed limit and kept a full car's length between my car and the car in front of me. At a stop light a couple blocks from the fields, I turned on the radio to fill the awkward silence. Alpha Alexander promptly reached over and turned it off. I glared at him. "And here I thought the driver controls the radio."

"The driver pays attention to the road, not to the ridiculous racket they call music coming out of the speakers."

I scowled. "God, it feels like I'm taking my driver's test all over again." I gave him a sideways glance. "At least my last instructor was a lot nicer."

Like I expected, he didn't respond. He simply gave me directions on getting back to the pack house, which I committed to memory. I pulled into the driveway and turned the engine off with a satisfied smirk. "Looks like I win."

"You ran a yellow light."

"It turned yellow when I was already in the intersection!" I argued.

He gracefully got out of the car and I scrambled out after him. I marched over to Alpha Alexander and poked his chest. 

"I am driving myself from now on. Just because you're the big bad Alpha does not mean that you can control me."

"Actually, it does, Phoebe." His eyes were burning dark irises. "But that is beside the point. I will drive you to school come Monday and that's final."

"We'll see about that, Alpha Alexander," I scowled and spun on my heel, marching into the house as the sky darkened. As I entered, I asked a passing boy where Julie's room was. He stumbled over his words, but told me where to find her. I stomped up the stairs and down the hall, passed Alpha Alexander's room and knocked impatiently on the closed door. It opened swiftly, revealing a towel-clad Julie. She pulled me inside and slammed the door.

"Do you have any idea how worried I've been?" she screeched.

I gaped, baffled at her sudden frustration toward me. "I, uh . . . What?"

"You just dipped out on Jason and we didn't know where to find you!"

I rubbed my face tiredly. "I'm sorry, Julie. My brother had a soccer game and I told him I would go."

"You couldn't tell me that before I called the FBI?"

I raised an eyebrow. "You did not call the FBI, Julie."

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, no, I didn't. But I was about to before Alpha Alexander flew out of the house like a mad man."

I frowned. "What?"

"Yeah, he heard that you ditched and started calling everyone and their mothers to find you. He went to your house and found out from your dad that your brother had a soccer game."

"Yeah," I grimaced. "He dropped by and nearly tore the head off some obnoxious woman."

Her eyes widened. "Why?"

"She just asked a few too many personal questions about me and Alpha Alexander."

Julie laughed, clutching her stomach. "I would have paid to see that!"

I shook my head. "It wasn't amusing at the time, trust me."

"Never is." Her lips lifted in a smile, but it fell a second later. "You can't keep doing that, you know."

"What?"

"Pushing his buttons." She sighed, "You know, getting under his skin by defying him at every turn."