Chapter 7

"Dan." Someone said, making Dan swerve around to see whoever it was. As soon as he made eye contact with Phil, he smiled widely.

"Hey, Phil." Dan chirped, stopping in his tracks so that he could talk with him.

"Can I walk you home? I need to talk to you."

"Sure," Phil didn't hesitate before connecting his hand with Dan's. "But I walk home with Chris and PJ.. is that okay?"

"I guess so.." Phil shrugged before he noticed that Chris and PJ were walking towards them. "I don't think they like me though." He muttered before he realised that Dan was so busy greeting them that he hadn't noticed.

"Phil's walking with us." Dan simply told them, earning a shrug and a smile from both of them. Then Dan walked back to Phil and linked their hands again. "Let's go."

To say the walk home was awkward would have been an extreme understatement. Chris and PJ didn't even attempt to make conversation with Phil and Dan was pretty much the same. Phil didn't exactly want to speak to Dan in the presence of his two friends because he was afraid of how they'd react. Yes, that was correct. Phil was afraid. Petrified. It was a foreign feeling to him so he wanted it to go away as soon as possible.

"Are you okay?" Dan whispered, looking at Phil with wide, worried eyes. Usually Phil was so confident with talking and everything so seeing him quiet was slightly.. out of character for him. Phil just nodded, earning another concerned look. "Are you sure?" Another nod.

It was about an awkward fifteen minutes later when the group had reached PJ's house. So PJ broke off from the group, expertly taking Chris with him, claiming that they had some mysterious project to work on. Dan and Phil both knew that he didn't want Chris to feel awkward and alone with Dan and Phil but neither questioned it. "Finally!" Phil sighed as soon as he watched PJ's front door close. "They're gone!"

"Don't sound so excited. They're my friends." Dan argued, getting the idea that Phil didn't really like or get along with Chris and PJ.

"I know but it means that I can finally talk to you in private."

"You could have just told me that you didn't want to walk with them. I would have told them to go a different way or something."

"Didn't want to hurt your feelings." Phil chuckled but it came out a lot more sarcastic than he intended.

"What did you need to tell me then?" Phil sighed, bringing himself to a standstill and dropping his gaze to his feet. "You're kind of scaring me." Phil lifted up his hands and placed them gently on Dan's shoulder. Their eyes met and that was when Dan noticed the sheer anxiety in Phil's eyes, it made Dan's stomach drop.

"I don't know if I can meet you anymore." Phil blurted out and Dan's eyes widened.

"Why not?"

"I just can't okay? Don't push it." Phil's words sounded harsh but the tremble in his voice contradicted the words.

"Phil? I'm confused?" Phil slowly glanced around him before retracting his hands from Dan's shoulders with a small frown.

"I'm sorry but I never liked you." Lies. Phil hated that he lied but he had to.

-

As soon as Dan was out of sight, Phil allowed himself to cry. The tears filled his eyes and, when they started to fall, they wouldn't stop. He clenched his hands into fists and sent one of them towards the wall beside him. He was frustrated.. so frustrated. Phil hated how he felt and he just wanted it all to go away; Dan didn't need him. PJ was right, he was so right. Phil was nothing but a bad influence on Dan. Phil wished he wasn't who he was. If he didn't skip class, if he wasn't so rebellious, then maybe it would be okay for him to feel that way.

-

"Dan, are you okay?" Dan's mum asked as Dan walked in the house, slamming the door behind him.

"Mum, not now." He practically yelled before running upstairs, unable to stop the tears falling down his cheeks. They wouldn't stop falling.

"Dan?"

"Mum, please.. not now!" The fact that Dan was sobbing was evident in his voice and his mum really wouldn't let that go. Dan slammed his bedroom door closed, letting out a gasp as his knees gave out. He collapsed onto the floor, letting out a loud sob which was pretty much a desperate wail. He hated himself so much for liking Phil. If he didn't then he wouldn't be sobbing so much.

"Daniel? Open the door.." Dan's mum muttered, knocking on the door a few times.

"No. I can't." Dan pulled his knees to his chest and let out another cry.

"Why not?"

"I just want to be alone."

I don't like this chapter much at all.