Chapter 3

At Lunch...

I was sitting in the lunch hall, hand's cuffed around my ears, in a desperate attempt to muffle the sounds of the students, eating, talking, texting, and doing other unusually loud things. I felt Mercy suddenly yank my sleeve. She wanted to tell me something. I sighed and extended my hand.

Code Pink! She signed, frantically. She was pressing to me hand harder than normal so she must have been yelling. This is not a drill.

What is it Mercy? I signed back, slightly annoyed, Mercy had an array of different codes, so I had no idea which one she was talking about. What do you see?

Jordan and Marissa

I felt my heart skip a beat when she said those names. I hated those two so much. I felt a pull of a memory but I tried to deny its grasp. I needed to stay focused. Only the memory was much too strong and suddenly I was back in the world where we had once been friends.

. . .

It was my first day back in school since I had gone blind. I was still unfamiliar to the icy darkness that I now lived in, but now days it greeted me every morning like a old friend. Before the Accident, I had a lot of friends, I wore too much make-up and cared what people thought of me. Looking back, I realize how much has changed.

I stumbled down the hallway to my math class. I hadn't yet realized how bad of an idea going down the halls like a normal person was. I was far from normal. Once I entered the door, I didn't need my eyesight to tell I was being stared at. I sat down in my normal seat by Jordan and Marissa.

"Oh my god, girl who did your makeup this morning?" Marissa said, in her preppy voice.

"I don't have any on." I mumbled slightly embarrassed.

"You totally need it though. Right now you just look like one of those nerdy girls." She said, smugly. I clenched my jaw, wished that this Accident had never happened.

"You're totally right." Jordan said.

"It's not my fault I can't see." I mumbled.

"Of course it isn't." Jordan said, "But it sure does look like you got dressed in the dark."

"Now don't you worry. I have some makeup and we'll get you all fixed up, so you don't look like you're living under a bridge." Marissa said.

"Under a bridge?" I snapped, suddenly mad, "As if I need fashion advice from two stuck up snots."

"Why are you acting like this?" Jordan said, "You're supposed to be our friend."

"And you're aren't supposed to act like bitches." I shot back.

"Fine. Be that way, but just so you know, nobody will ever like you again." Marissa snapped.

I glared at her, straight in the eyes, or where I thought her eyes should be. I could feel the smug look she was giving me, before I slapped her and stalked off. I'd rather be a badass loner than hang out with a bunch of bitches like them. Little did I know, losing my friends was only the beginning.

. . .

I snapped back to reality. I hoped I hadn't been daydreaming for too long. Nothing good ever came out of that. Finally I heard the clicking of heels on the tile floor, above the noise in the cafeteria. Wait, the cafeteria had gone almost completely silent. Only a few students were talking, but most were probably staring at me and these two queen bees.

After our fight in math, when ever we talked to each other, sparks flew, and not in the good way. It either ended in me cussing them out or them getting a beat down by a blind girl. Our hatred was nothing new to most of the students and they were just here to watch us.

"Oh, look Marissa." Jordan said, pretending to be surprised, but she obviously wasn't. I guessed they were probably rehearsing this in the bathroom while they putting on make-up. "It's the blind girl and her gang of losers."

Marissa gave a fake laugh before saying, "You know what, Jordan? I think we should welcome them properly to tenth grade."

I heard something be flung at me, but a second before it hit my head, I ducked. I heard a crash as glass broke and a splash as its content's spilled on the floor. I smelled a strong scent of coffee. They had thrown a bottle of coffee at me.

"Wow. You can't even hit a blind girl." I said, getting to my feet, hands on my hips. "Or even worse you tried to hit a blind girl."

"Shut up you-you-" Marissa started.

"Can't even think of a come back? You're even dumber than I thought." I snapped.

"Leave her alone bitch." Jordan said, shoving me.

I put my hand to my chest and pretended to be flattered, "Why I was trying to act like you today." I said and I heard a chorus of Ohs! sound from the crowd. I didn't really care though, I wasn't doing this for their entertainment.

"Why don't you just--" Marissa started, but suddenly the clink of heels came to us and I realized there was a principal there. She smelled strongly of violets, and I knew it was Ms. Martian.

"Office now." She told the two bitches. I wished they would get hung by their thumbs and scream in pain as the minutes ticked by. Gosh sometimes I have a dark mind.

I heard them stalk off and the principal was still there, staring at me, "I saw what happened. How did you avoid getting hit by the coffee?" She asked.

"That's for me to know, and you to find out." I said before slipping through the crowd, and doing what I did best. Disappearing into thin air.