Chapter 4

After School

I sat in the rain. My sightless eyes pointed towards the sky. Water droplets poured down my face, soaking me to the bone. I was cold, but I didn't dare shiver. Rain was surprisingly loud, but I still heard the footsteps.

"You always sit in the rain?" A voice, I didn't recognize asked me.

"Who are you?" I asked the stranger. I was on the sidewalk in front of my house. Mom always said to come inside if there was someone I didn't know there. I was tempted to listen to her now, but for some reason I didn't.

"My name is Jaxon." He said, "Might I ask who you are?" There was something about the way he said it, it made my heart skip a beat. And not in the good way. I could tell he was a pretty boy, who used his parent's money to get away with anything. If you know one, you know them all.

"Ashley. But my friends call me Ash." I said quickly. I wanted to go inside, but I would most likely make a fool of myself in front of this boy.

"Nice to meet you Ash." He replied.

"I said my friends." I snapped.

"You go to school around here?" He asked, ignoring my hot headed words.

"What's it to you?" I said, and he let out a laugh. I glared at him, and the laughter stopped, but I could have guessed that he was struggling to keep a straight face.

"Well I do. I go to the one just down the road. I'm new." He said. Well I guess we went to the same high school. Bummer he'd never see me again.

"Where do you live?" I asked, hoping it was nowhere near here. But I didn't hear a car come up, so he couldn't have drove.

"Three miles." He said, "Just testing if I could make it to school in less than twenty-five minutes."

"You could but then you'd mess up your hair." I snapped. I wasn't sure if it was because he annoyed me, or if I was jealous that he could do what I used to do. Run.

"What do you take me for, a pretty boy?" He asked, "Can't you see--"

"No. As a matter of fact I can't." I snapped, cutting him off. I felt his eyes stare at me, looking into my eyes, really looking into my eyes, for the first time.

"Oh, you're blind." He said. That was the first time anyone had ever said that out loud and to my face. They normally were just like you can't see. Thanks for the tip, Sherlock!

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I am." I said, then turned around, stalking off to my front door. Only when my hand reach the knob did he call out.

"See you at school, Raindrop!" Then I heard him turn and start to run off. As I shut the door I couldn't keep my mind from this strange boy, who thought we could be friends.

.  .  .

I sat at the table, eating my dinner in silence. My Mom was next to me, and I felt her keep giving me glances. My brother, who was a year younger than me, Ricky, sat scraping his fork on the bottom of his plate. A year ago, I would have hardly noticed it, but now...

"Will you stop that?!" I snapped.

"Stop what?" He asked, confused.

"Moving your fork, it's giving me a headache." I said, rubbing my temple.

"You know, you don't always have to be so rude." He said.

"That's enough Ricky." Mom scolded. The little twerp described it too. "So how was school today?" Mom pried.

"Great. High School is amazing. It's way better than Junior High. I get to meet a lot of new people." He said, "Me and Nick want to meet up after school tomorrow, if that's okay."

"Of course it is honey. How about you Ashley. Is tenth grade better than ninth?" Mom pried.

"Jordan and Marissa threw a bottle of coffee at me" I muttered. I knew if I kept it a secret now, then she'd find out later and get mad. No point in upsetting her, right?

"Really? The principal should have those two expelled." Mom said angrily.

"I dodged it. So I'm fine now." I said.

"Are you sure?" She asked, still a bit mother bear like. I nodded then walked to the sink and put my dish in. Without another word I slipped up to my bedroom, to hide away.

AN:

Yay, a author's note! Did you guys miss me? Admit it, you missed me. I want to thank you guys for the twenty votes and about fifty views! You. Are. So. Awesome!!! Anyways thanks for reading this tad bit of weirdness and remember to vote and comment! BYE!!!!!!!!!!!