Chapter 24

School that day seemed to drag on and on, despite me being in the 'Meteor Zone' which was my favorite class. My emotions seemed to be a roller coaster of tranquility to fear, that occurred at least every minute before I got on the bus to begin the hour long drive to where the cross country meet would be held.

The bus was small and cramped, as our four teams had to cram into a singular bus. Boys on the left and girls on the right. I was in the front of the bus, sitting next to Beth, the captain of the girl's Varsity team. Across the row from me was Jaxon. He seemed to sense how nervous I was, and I knew he was probably smiling at me reassuringly.

"Oh my God this song is my jam!" Beth screamed, and due to the fact that I heard no music playing, I made the reasonable guess that she was listening to music through earbuds. Suddenly an earbud was in my hand, and I could feel Beth looking at me expectantly. "Put it in." She ordered and I did.

A song that I had never heard before was playing, its lyrics were accented and slurred together, almost as if sung by a drunk man. There was a strong presence of instrumentals, and I was pretty sure the man singing it was comparing someone to an alcoholic beverage. There was one thing I was certain of though. It was most definitely country music.

"Hey Raindrop!" Jaxon said from across the row of the bus. "You should of ran while you still had the chance!" He said, and I could sense he was teasing Beth.

"I'm sorry that you have no taste in music Jaxon, but I think Ashley likes it," Beth snorted. In truth, this was less than my favorite genre of music, but it was understandable why Beth liked it so much. Even though she was a senior, I still knew that she had moved here from Texas back in elementary school. She was raised on this stuff.

"It's not that bad, but it's not one of my favorites." I said, not satisfying either side of the argument. 

"What type of music do you like then?" Jaxon asked, with genuine interest. I shrugged, not really knowing how to answer. I used to listen to whatever came on the radio station when I was with my ex-friends, and said my favorite song was whatever their favorite song was. In truth, I didn't really like it at all.

"How about you listen to this?" Jaxon said, handing me a pair of earbuds. I gave him the most skeptical face I could master.

"I really don't want to listen to the stuff that you do. It's probably terrifying." I stated, and Jaxon laughed, despite that not being a joke.

"Just listen to the song." He said, and I sighed as I but the earbuds in, letting the silence before the music started playing fill my ears. I had no clue what was about to start playing. Jaxon didn't seem like he was a country music guy, nor really into popular music, either. Maybe he liked stuff from the 60's or something.

After about thirty seconds into the song I shot Jaxon a confused glance to where I thought his face might be. This was definitely not hippy music, as I thought it was going to be. What the hell was I listening to?

"Jaxon what the frick?" I asked aloud. "What the hell am I listening to?"

"Headfirst Slide into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet!" He said, and I could hear the excitement in his voice. "Emma downloaded like three whole Fall Out Boy albums before I caught her, and told me to listen to them, before running off with Emilie."

"Jaxon's a strange one, in the sense of the word." Beth said, nudging me playfully. I smiled as the lyrics blasted into my ears. I still wasn't certain to what I was listening to, but I did enjoy it better than the past options by bitchy friends made me listen to. Or maybe it was the fact the it was Jaxon who was making me listen to it was what I liked about this.

The bus finally rolled to a stop, but not before Jaxon and I listen to a few more songs, which he said I was "cute" when I started bobbing my head and smiling. I told him to leave me alone, and he hugged me in response. It was crazy how happy Jaxon made me.

We finally exited the bus and the four teams all warmed up together, and I was once again a nervous wreck. The girl's teams would go first, JV first followed by Varsity. Coach Smith had still kept me in the dark, quiet literally, about how I could possibly be running cross country once again, not that I couldn't see the unfamiliar paths. 

Our team was about halfway through the warm up, when I was pulled aside by none other than Coach Smith herself. I could tell it was her by her grip on my shoulder, which was surprisingly rough despite how I very well knew she was a smaller woman, with graying hair. I didn't, however, doubt her speed and tough attitude.

"Ashley, I've spoken with the Maryland Athletic Directors Association about how you could run in this race." She said, bluntly. "The choices aren't very pretty kid. You can't use a guide like you have been during practice, because in some universe it's cheating." She said, and my heart rate spiked. "Now we have two choices. You can walk the track twice before the race, and attempt to memorize the track or you can go home. So what do you want to do, kid?"

"I'll walk it." I said, quickly. "There is no way I'm going back on that bus without at least trying." Perhaps it was desperation that took over, at the final moment. Perhaps it was stupidity. Most likely it was just me, longing to do what I do best. I wanted to fly.

.  .  .

I took a deep breath as I stood at the start of the course, my legs trembling with built up energy, and my heart tearing at my chest. I could hear my Mom's screaming from the crowd, who was happy that I was finally running again. I could smell a dampness to the air, like it was about to rain. The humidity made my hair, which was tied back in a sloppy ponytail, frizzy.

Then, all at once, I heard the sound of a horn being blown, signalling the start of the race. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified of running, but somehow I got my legs working, and I felt myself start to tear down the dirt path, my feet somewhat familiar to it. I'd most certainly tried my hardest to memorize every bump and turn in the track the two times that I had walked it.

As I ran, I heard the trample of feet all around me, and forced myself to remain calm. I squeezed my eyes shut and let my instincts take hold. I could hear the girls around me, even if I couldn't see them. When I felt the road take its first bend, was when I started to really push myself. I started to run, trying not to trip over anyone in the process.

At that very moment, when my lungs were screaming for air, and my muscles were screaming in agony as I continued to push myself, to the limit, that was the very first moment I felt free. I felt my wings sprout from my back and let out a well deserved breath of relief. This was my homecoming.

That was when I fell.

My wings shattered like glass, when met with a hard object such as a rock. I hit the hard earth, arms flailing uselessly as I tried to stop the fall over the unexpected object. I visibly flinched as I picked myself up and attempted to avoid to be trampled by other runners. It was clear that I was bleeding, but that didn't stop me from picking myself back up.

I kept going, I kept fighting, limping as fast as I could towards the end. I could hear the crowd's screams cheering the runners on as I pushed both my mind and body to the limit, following the rest of the runners, until I was well past the end of the course, and to the place where I knew I had won.

I felt my friends, who had gotten a ride here, hugging me and screaming about how well I'd done. I heard Jaxon asking if I was okay, and how happy he was for me. Although it just seemed like a distant memory to me. For I knew, deep within my heart, that just for a moment, just for the tiniest of moments I had flown.

AN:

i am trash (although i updated on time) this is extra long for you kids