Chapter 9

I ran straight home after school. Or, more like sped walked with my hand on my brother's backpack. You know those little handles on the top that everyone things are useless? Yeah, well they're not. So I was there trailing my brother, and probably looking like an idiot. Also complaining that we weren't going fast enough. He was in cross-country, like I used to be, but he was slower than a horse in high heels.

After we finally got home, I realized my mom wasn't home. So I sat on the couch and bounced my leg. Why wasn't she home yet? I started pacing until my brother told me it was only 4:15. It had taken us five minutes to get home, and we had only been home 10 minutes. Why did it feel like it had been hours, days, years, centuries, eras, eons, whatever else came after eons. You get my point. I was sick and tired of waiting.

Finally I heard the roar of Mom's car as it pulls into the driveway. Now I understood why she sent the note. She wasn't in town. We lived in a little town called Redwater in Maryland. The closest big city, was D.C. She must have taken a train to see the doctor. That's why she sent her blind daughter a note.

I bit my lip as the door swung open. The floorboards creaked as my Mom went to sit down on the couch. I wondered if she knew we were home yet. Silent as a cat I slipped into the living room. It was like when I might have stolen my Mom's credit card to buy concert tickets. Don't worry, I was grounded for like a month. And I had to pay for the tickets.

Back in Junior High, the worst years of my life and that's really saying something, with me, I thought I was a real smart-ass. I talked back to my parents and was a real nightmare whenever I didn't get what I wanted. Then my Dad died. He was a police officer, and died when some maniac with a gun shot him, just to rob a liquor store. Got away with it too. I guess that's what started my emotional roller coaster in eighth grade. I became friends with two bitches and started to care what people thought about me.

There was only one good thing that came out of it all. I turned to running. It was the only way to get out all the emotional trauma. I remember that day when I won second place my first cross country meet. Mom looked at me all stone faced and said, 'God had all things happen for a reason. Maybe this was why your father died.' I said that was a load of shit, and I'd rather have my Dad than do running. Now I'm sure of that more than ever.

Then Ricky came running down the stairs, stomping like a elephant. I sighed and walked out the kitchen, just as loudly as him. Mom was probably looking at us, stone faced now, like when she told me that at the first meet. She was always like that. Everything happens for a reason. Because of God. Now, I wasn't sure if I believed in God or not, but I guessed I could figure this out later in life.

"Hey kids, I didn't think you were home yet." She said, trying to sound positive. I should really emphasize the TRYING.

"Well we are." I snapped. I hated how cold my voice was. I should be empathetic. Or at least be happy that she was here now. But no. I was mad that the cancer came back. I was also mad at myself because I don't think I could handle it if she died, like Dad. Actually I know I couldn't handle it.

"I know you're mad Ashley, you've been asked to live a life that most ordinary teenagers never have to live. Now this." She sighed.

"I'm sorry Mom." I said, looking down.

"No. We have a lot to talk about."

. . .

I was sitting outside now. Raindrops soaked my already tear stained cheeks. Over the last two hours I had learned my Mom had breast cancer. The doctors weren't sure if she'd make it this time. I'm pretty sure I was the only one who cried at the fact that my Mom might not be alive my the time I was a Junior in High School. It hurt, real bad.

"Hey Raindrop." A familiar voice said, from just beyond the fence. I didn't hear him come up, because I was so deeply in thought. I wasn't surprised though. "You want to talk about it?"

I just nodded my head and I heard the gate swing open. He sat next to me and I put my head on his shoulder. After a brief silence, I let it all out.

AN:

So it finally updated, and I'm being evil! Well I have lots to say, but I can't say them. I love you guys! I can't believe we have over 70 votes and over 200 views! Bye, bye guys!

PS: This picture is cute, and after it are some wise(NOT) words from some of my friends and bro bro!

i love mally mal <3 Emma (crazycatladymeow)

  JOHNNNY WUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HERERER - johnny_jackson

HI IT GAYLE!!!HEHE!! - GayleGirl19