Make Believe everything is Normal

Chapter6

The library incident became a big issue inside the campus. It has been a week now since the news shocked the university administration and the students as well. Many criticized Mr. Rodney especially after the investigation revealing that he is also the culprit behind series of robbery case inside the university. If he's still alive, surely he will spend half of his life in jail.

On the otherhand, family of Mr. Crisford recieved a monetary reward for his valor. It'd be a good help since he left a three year old son with his wife who only work as dishwasher in the town eatery.

"May both of them rest in peace", I whispered as I stand in the second floor of Humanities Building facing the left wing of the university library, a three storey building with glass walls. I can see some students coming in and out of that building. After what I experienced in that creepy floor, I don't even dare to come back again. I still can't believe that such thing can happen in real life.

"Harlem", Charrie shouted. I saw her running out of group of students exiting the Speech Laboratory. I flashed a smile and meet her half way.

"What's up?" I greeted.

"Harlem, here it is. Finally, were done", she handed me the soft bound papers. "I told you we can do it. I can't wait for my 1 -grade for this research!" she continued.

I just laughed at her. She really has a tendency of bragging herself which I know she doesn't mean at all.

"Oh wait, I forgot something. Wait for me here. I won't be that long", she left without giving me a chance to say a word.

I looked around. No more students was left in the corridor. Again, here comes the feeling that I am being watched. These past few days, I have a strange feeling that someone's keeping an eye on me. Usually I end up running like an idiot.

I looked at the end of the hallway The temperature was cold yet I'm sweating. I saw the dark shadow again standing in front of Audio Visual Room. My mind is telling me to run but I can't move my feet. The shadow is coming nearer making me hold my breath. I am hypnotized to look at what is approaching.

"Harlem", I heard Charrie's voice. It's happening again. I looked at her and forced a fake smile. I gripped her hands tightly and looked again in the end of the hallway. Strange, but the area is already well lighted. I shook my head and let out an exasperated sigh. Here I am, trying to make believe that everything will come back to normal.

I loosen my grip to Charrie's hands and let her walk down the stairs first. I looked back again at the hallway.

"It's getting into my nerves." I told myself. I was about to follow Charrie who kept on talking about something I don't understand at all because I'm not listening when I bumped to a girl with eye glasses. She looks so pale on her pink floral dress.

"I'm sorry." I uttered apologetically. I heard no response from the girl.

"Harlem, I look like an idiot here talking to myself. What are you doing there? Hurry up!" Charrie pouted.

I was stunned. I looked again at the hallway to find the pale faced girl but she was gone.

"She's really that fast, huh?" my voice came out like a whisper. Charrie put her hand on her hips and raised her eyebrow.

"Oh, yeah. I'm coming!" I faked my cheerful voice but my face tells the otherwise. Charrie gave me a knowing look. She did not ask anything but I know she has an idea. We remained silent.

We are about to exit the Humanities Building when a panicking scream echoed from the lobby. Suddenly, anxiety covered me. I saw a lot of students in a commotion. I was too afraid to come near. I looked at Charrie and she nodded. She went to the group of students to see what happened.

I heard one of the girls says "heart attack". I froze. I can't move. I saw the girl with eye glasses lying on the floor lifeless. I heard the ambulance's siren. A man carried her and ran outside the building. I was able to see who the girl was when they passed in front of me. The pale faced girl in a pink dress, the one at the second floor. I shivered.

I tried to look for Charrie in the crowd but I can't see her.I suppressed a scream when I spotted the blurry image of a man from a dark area of the lobby. My breathing turned into panting until its almost suffocating. "Oh, my", I uttered without bathing my eye lashes.

Thereafter, I heard a finger snapped. It's Charrie. I pointed the dark end of the lobby. "He's there", I whispered in my weakening voice.

"There's no one, Harlem."

"He's there." I insisted. She can't see him. I'm the only one who can see him. The idea keeps spinning on my mind. I looked at her and saw her worried face.

"Let's go!"she said as she gripped my arm and pulled me out of the building. We mixed ourselves with the group of students and ran away from the mysterious shadow.

****5555555555****