Tale of Atlas

Chapter 12

Tale of Atlas

(ATLAS POV)

I just arrived from our mission. It’s been a month since I last stepped in this castle. I pushed the main door and walked inside the dark hallway. Nothing’s different, I observed. The place is still gloomy as ever.

Silence…is the only thing you can be heard. Something I enjoyed for over 14 years of staying here.

The darkness…

The sorrow…

This is my life.

I continued walking without bothering myself to switch on the lamps hanging on the side of the hallways. There’s no need to do so anyways because I knew the place too well.

There are 300 rooms in this castle and there are 256 soul fetchers living here, including the 12 members of Dark Council, my brother, Vladimir and I.

Vladimir.

My friend.

My brother, just a year younger than me.

I smiled bitterly as I remembered him.

Though he tried to deny it, I know he is having a special affection with that human girl.  He can’t fool me. I knew him too well. There’s no doubt that he changed a lot after our mission in Morlton town, after he saw that human in that library.I clenched my fist as I remembered how he watched the girl from a far.  Alas! I already warned him not to but he didn’t listen. I know he keeps on looking after that girl until now. And that bothers me the most. “Damn” I cursed in my mind. I know I should’ve taken it seriously from the very start.

I continued walking until I spotted the painting abandonly hanged on the wall opposite of my room’s door.  I stopped in front of the piece of art and felt a sudden outburst of loneliness inside me.

Lydia…My mom…She painted this art. I can still remember her sweet face. I reminisced as I outlined the colors with my bare fingers.

Then a memory flashed back.

“Mom, Dad, where are we going?” A half asleep Vladimir asked as he rubbed his tiny fingers on his eyes. Mom and dad woke us up in this middle of the night and told us that we’re leaving the house.

“Far away from here, darling.” My mom answered and pulled little Vladimir into a hug.

I looked at them confusingly. I can’t understand.

“Dad, why do we have to leave?” I questioned with so much innocence.

He stopped packing our clothes and faced me. Dad put his both hands on my shoulders and let out a sigh before he spoke. “Listen carefully, son.” He began in a serious tone as he lowered himself for me to see him face to face. “I want you to take care of your brother no matter what.”

I nodded.  “And always remember this,” He paused and looked at mom. “Mom and Dad love you both”. He continued as he looked at Vladimir and forced a smile. “And we love you to dad, mom.” I replied. I was 6 years old then and don’t want my parents to cuddle me anymore, unlike Vladimir. My dad knew me too well so he just put his big hand on my head and shook my hair.

“Arthur, we must leave now.” Mom interrupted in a worried tone. Dad looked at mom lovingly, stood up and hugged her. “Yes, we better go.” He uttered and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

Mom carried a still half asleep Vladimir and let him rest on her shoulder while dad and I walked ahead of them. We are about to enter the car when three shadows suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and encircled us.