Friendship

"Charlotte how's your homework going?" Bruno asked, leaning over her shoulder.

"Good," she replied.

"How about you take a break? It's almost time for dinner."

"Okay," she said, closing her notebook.

Bruno began to walk away.

Charlotte pulled his shirt. "Wait, Daddy. I have to show you something."

Reaching into her backpack, she pulled out a card with pink writing and silver glitter that fell onto the floor. Bruno took a seat beside her. It was an invitation for a birthday party at the roller rink.

"Who's Madison?" he asked.

"She's in my class. We like to color together."

"Really?" Bruno grinned widely. "Why didn't you tell me about her?"

It had already been a month since the conference with Miss Hunter.

Charlotte shrugged.

"That's so great, Charlotte," Bruno said, kissing her cheek. He took the invitation from her. "I'm going to put this on the refrigerator, okay?"

Charlotte nodded.

"Clear off the table. It's almost time for dinner."

"Can I help?" she asked, putting the last book back into her bag.

"Of course. Go get the napkins and forks."

Bruno smiled, watching her walk slowly toward the table with her arms full of napkins and utensils. Meticulously eating her dinner very slowly, it took Charlotte a lot more time to eat than Bruno. He stared at her smiling, which she picked up on very quickly.

"Hey," she said dramatically, but still smirking a bit. "Don't stare at me. That's rude."

"I'm sorry," he laughed, continuing to stare.

"Daddy," she whined with a smile, finishing the last of her meal.

"I told you that you would make friends," he said, clearing the table.

Charlotte finished the last bits of her homework before taking out a stack of papers and crayons. Bruno watched her as he loaded up the dishwasher. She looked back and forth between the flowered centerpiece and the paper. She furrowed her eyebrows, crumpled it up, and threw it across the table.

"Charlotte," he said, picking it up and looking it at. "What wrong with this? It's beautiful."

"I messed up the flower on the end."

"Well it doesn't have to be perfect."

"Yes it does. I'm giving it to Madison."

"Aww...that's so nice. Is it for her birthday?"

Charlotte shook her head. "No. She's making one for me and I'm making one for her."

"Maybe we can get her something for her drawings for her birthday...like a paint set or something like that."

Charlotte nodded, looked down, and continued working on her drawing. "Can I have a paint set for my birthday?"

"Sure," Bruno said, thinking about the present he'd already had in mind. It would be a surprise until her birthday, which was still a few months away.

Later that night, Charlotte read "I Wished for you, Charlotte" to Bruno. She read every word for the book perfectly.

When she finished, Bruno took the book from her and put it on the large stack on her nightstand.