Chapter 24

Chapter 24

But I'm only human,
And I bleed when I fall down,
I'm only human,
And I crash and I break down,
Your words in my head, knives in my heart,
You build me up and then I fall apart,
'Cause I'm only human.

I bothered me a lot that Carolin and Marco were getting close again. I knew Marco never planned any of this, so I couldn't take it out on him. It wasn't like I got angry, I just got insecure. There were this connection between them, it could be nothing more than a friendship, but they had spent so much of their lives together, that doesn't just go away in a blink of an eye. Marco had several times told me, I shouldn't worry, but that was easier said than done.

I bit my lip, unable to even focus at the words in my book. I sighted, closing it, before leaning back in the chair. I rubbed the side of my head, closing my eyes.

It annoyed me, it bothered me this much. Why couldn't I just be careless? I wondered if I should talk to Marco about it, but I didn't want to. Things would probably just get as out of hand, as it did last time. I made up things in my mind though. I mean, all those phone calls I wasn't allowed to hear? Or when he hung up, as soon as I came home? Could they have something to do with her?

I knew in my heart that couldn't possibly be it, but every inch of my body was screaming otherwise. You're making it up, Mila. Like Erik said, stop worrying. There's nothing to worry about. As my thoughts flashed by Erik, I searched for my phone. Erik was injured too, on his way back though, so I knew, he would pick up the phone. I pressed the green bottom, sticking the phone to my ear.

"Hi Mils" he said, happily.

Probably because they were winning the match, which he was probably watching at home.

"Hi"

"What's up?"

"I don't know, studying for my exams, needed a break" I said, biting the inside of my cheek.

This was a desperate tempt to stop thinking about it – something Erik was usually good at - making me stop worrying.

"Ugh, horrible. I still remember my mental breakdown in 9th grade" he said, making me laugh.

"Yes! You were such a mess" I laughed, shaking my head.

"I know and it wasn't even like a real exam-"

"You definitely weren't born to do that"

"You don't say" he laughed.

I could hear he licked his lips, it automatically made me lick mine.

"What are you up to?" I asked.

"Just watching the game. Thought you would be at the stadium with Marco, though"

"Nah, I'm too stressed"

"But you saw-"

"Yes! I... I'm trying to-"

"Stop thinking about it?" he finished, making me smile.

It was actually kind of scary, how he could just read my mind like that, twice as scary, because I was able to read his also.

We talked back and forth for an hour or so, about everything and nothing. It was always so easy with Erik, which honestly really made me appreciate our friendship.

"I kinda have to go now" Erik said, which made me nod.

I fast realized he couldn't see it.

"Yeah, the books are calling me" I said, which made Erik giggle.