Chapter fourteen

There was a strong hard knock at the door - echoing through the walls of the house. Hearing no nose from Patsy's room Delia went to open the door. Delia was putting in her earring, she ran down the stairs as she did so. There stood her beautiful girlfriend.

"Patsy" Delia said smiling.

"I got us 2 tickets to see to kill a mockingbird – starting in an hour" Patsy was smiling, with the tickets in her hand. She had heard the nuns discussing the book a few months back and was looking for a reason to see the film. This was the perfect reason. She wasn't sure whether it was her and Delia's normal type of film but it was the only thing playing and she wasn't going to waste her 'sick day' doing nothing. Plus she had promised Delia a film.

Delia shut the door behind her, no turning back. She didn't want to know if anyone was around to see her and Patsy walking down the road arm in arm.

Delia feared lots of things, she feared about being misunderstood but she feared losing Patsy. Since meeting Patsy her world had become clearer yet more confusing. She didn't relies how messed up the world was and she didn't know what she was meant to do about it. Since meeting Patsy she knew what real love was. She finally knew what her parents meant when they told her about love yet she felt powerless, she knew the world wasn't changing any time soon, but she had to believe it would because she had to convince Patsy that it was going to change because without hope they were nothing. She never told a sole about her feelings, she didn't have to. You could tell her face that the rumors were true but she didn't deny them, she called them crazy but to anyone other than the nuns she didn't tell anyone they weren't true. That way she didn't have to lie anymore.

Patsy would never admit it but she loved the pictures, even though she was mid 20s she always found something quite childlike about the excitement you get when the film started to play. The cinema had a buzz of excited talk. Children on tiptoed stares at the ticket booth and mother gossiping while finishing their cigarettes. The place felt swimming with people. Smiles never left either of their faces, they didn't kiss or make clear displays of affections but they stood closer together than other ladies around them, they didn't care anymore. If Patsy listen in close enough she could hear others mentioning her name but she did her best to zone it out, she was watching Delia.

The darkness of the film is a gloom that permeates every aspect of script and plots. In the darkness of the film, Patsy's hand could sit slightly against Delia's while it was an unseen act it made them feel real, and official. Even if no one else could see.