Chapter Seventeen

Connor's POV

When Emily runs towards the steps, I notice that she dropped something.

"Emily, wait!" I call out, but she's already gone. I pick it up and studying before realizing where I've seen it.

It can't be. I would've known. I mean, a lot of people must've worn this.

"She even had it custom made."

Man, I'm screwed. She's supposed to be protecting us, not kissing me! What have I done?! This can't happen! I mean, if I met her on my own time, I might try to go on a date with her, but she's here on an investigation. I messed up everything. It's all my fault.

She kissed back.

That's true.

She agreed to go on the date with you.

That's also true.

She ran upstairs before you could suspect anything.

Okay, how come this voice in my head can read girls better than me?

I go upstairs and to my room with the mask. I place it in my nightstand drawer and take off my suit jacket before hanging it up in my closet. I take off my tie and place it on my dresser before changing for bed. I crawl under the sheets and turn off the lights.

When I wake back up, it's to the smell of bacon. I leap our of my bed and run down the stairs, my brothers following closely behind. We slide into the kitchen (our socks) and sit at the breakfast bar, ready for the deliciousness that's in the pan.

"I'm back!" Emily calls out, and I hear the front door close. She walks in with a tray full of Starbucks, and we all smile.

"Please tell me those are for us," Toby pleads.

"Of course. One for Riley, one for my little Tobester," she ruffles his hair and then hugs him with one arm from behind around his neck. She gets to me and simply says, "Connor."

I frown, but she ignores it as she sits down next to me. My hand accidentally brushes against hers as I put my coffee down, and I notice her tense up. My leg then touches hers as I adjust my seating, and she almost spits out her coffee.

"Um, I actually ate at Starbucks, so I'm going to go upstairs and talk to my team; see if they have any leads on the case," she says, and she practically sprints upstairs.

"Is she okay? She seems a little jumpy," my mother comments.

"Yeah, she didn't get much sleep last night," Toby says.

After breakfast, I decide to go check on Emily. I slowly walk up the stairs to make sure I don't make a sound. Walking down the hallway, I reach her room and knock on the door.

"Come in!" she calls out. I open the door, and she looks up at me from her desk. She immediately looks back at her computer.

"Hey, I just want to apologize for not being the best person in the world lately. I feel bad for leaving you alone last night," I say, rubbing the back of my neck. It's true. I feel bad.

"It's okay. I have to make sure nobody was on the second floor with a weapon, ready to attack, and I ended up getting caught by security," she explains.

"Didn't you show them your badge?" I ask.

"Yeah, but they thought it was fake. They ended up calling my supervisor to make sure I was actually working for the FBI. It was a total waste of my time," she sighs.

"So, are we cool?" I ask.

"Yeah we are."

"Good, because I need to run some errands now, and even though you have to come along, I need a girl's perspective," I say.

"Okay, let me just change into something more comfortable, and I'll meet you by my car," she says with a smile.

"Can I drive it?" I ask. She ponders and then tosses me the keys.

"If you damage her, you're paying for everything."