Chapter Thirty-Two

"Shay, what the hell is taking so long?!" the paramedic with me shouts.

"Traffic, and it's really bad," Shay answers.

"We might have to call in the chopper. She's losing a lot of blood."

"I'm on it, Dawson." (A/N: If you get where this is from, I love you)

While Shay calls for the helicopter, the heart monitor starts to slow down, and then the most painful sound is heard.

That one, continuous drone.

"Quick, start pumping on her chest while I give her the air bag," Dawson orders.

I do so, the tears starting to form. Nothing happens.

"C'mon Emily, stay with me. I love you so much. Please stay with me," I say.

The monitor starts to beep again, and I sigh with relief. Dawson does the same, and she gives me a sad smile.

"Please don't give me the pity smile. I'll burst into tears," I say. She hands me a tissue.

"Sweetie, you're already crying," she says. Wow, I didn't even notice.

"Thanks," I whisper, taking the tissue and blowing my nose since it's running.

"Shay, where's that chopper?!" she calls out.

"It's on its way! They're clearing space for it to land as we speak!" Shay tells us. All of a sudden, I hear the familiar purring of the helicopter as it passes overhead.

* * *

As soon as I walk into the waiting room, I'm attacked by my brothers with hugs. The tears flow out of my eyes, and I hug them back, even though I have blood on my hands. My shoulders start to feel wet, and I realize that they're both crying as well.

After they pull away, I find the closest bathroom and wash my hands, just wanting to forget what happened. I look in the mirror only to see a stranger staring back. His eyes that were once bright are now dull, and he's pale. Very pale. His dirty blonde hair is a mess from his hands grasping it in shock, sadness, and anger. It's stained with blood, and it's sticking up. Dark circles are under his eyes, even though he hasn't had sleep deprivation. I imagine how he'll look without sleep during this.

I step away from my reflection and walk out, looking down at the ground. I sit in a seat, avoiding eye contact, and I feel a headache coming on. I close my eyes and hold the bridge of my nose, hoping it will go away soon.

"This will be the stupidest question I've ever ask, but are you okay?" Riley asks, sitting next to me.

"No, I have a headache," I say.

"Want me to get you some ibuprofen?" he asks.

"Nah, I can get it." I stand up and start to walk towards the nurse's desk, but I suddenly fall, the world disappearing.