Chapter Twenty-Three

Making sure all of the doors and windows are locked, I go upstairs to for bed. I quickly change into a t-shirt and some shorts. I crawl into bed and close my eyes, but they shoot open immediately when I hear movement from downstairs. I quickly grab my gun from the nightstand and slowly walk towards my bedroom door. I slowly turn the knob before opening it silently, walking into the hallway.

As I walk downstairs, I hear more movement, and something falls over. Somebody shushes somebody else, and I hurry to the first floor. Turning the corner, I notice two black figures in the family room. I point my gun at them and inch towards them slowly.

"Who are you, and what are you doing the McDonough house?" I ask lowly. They gasp and turn to us, and I flick on the lights to see Riley and Kristen.

"What the hell?!" Kristen exclaims when she sees my gun. I lower and sigh before glaring at Riley.

"What the hell is going on?" I ask.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing!" Riley shouts.

"What's going on down here?" Mr. McDonough asks, the rest of the family following behind on the steps.

"Emily was just about to shoot me!" Kristen yells.

"Only because you were sneaking into the house," I mutter.

"Emily, you need to be more careful," Riley says.

"I need to be more careful?! I'm not the one that forgot to tell the FBI agent that's protecting YOU that you were sneaking your girlfriend into the house at," I look at the time on the wall, "three thirty-seven in the morning!"

Everybody's eyes widen, and I just realize what I said. I scowl and run up the stairs, pushing past Connor along the way. Slamming my bedroom door shut, I put the gun back into its drawer. I then change take off my shirt to reveal my sports bra. I put on my sneakers and grab my kickboxing gloves. You know, the ones that don't cover the tips of my fingers.

When I'm sure everybody's back in bed (and possibly an extra person in Riley's room), I go down to the basement and walk towards the punching bag. I lightly punch it a few times before really getting into it, punching and kicking it. Sweat drips down the side of my face, telling me that I'm really getting my workout.

The more I hit the bag, the more anger is released. It feels good, letting the bag absorb all the anger that I have. It's good therapy, and it's a great way to lose weight if you want to. I do it to improve my strength and fighting, and for what I'm doing now.

"Emily?" a soft voice asks. I turn my head to see Kristen. I continue to fight. "Look, I'm sorry that I yelled at you. I didn't know that you were protecting Riley and his brothers. If I knew, I wouldn't have snuck over. Please forgive me."

I kick the bag over, and her eyes widen. "I'm not mad at you. Like you said, you didn't know, but Riley did. He should've told me that you were coming over. He's lucky I didn't shoot right away. I actually had the gun pointed at him, not you because I could see him better than you."

"Well, thank you for not shooting my boyfriend," she says.

"No problem. Although, next time, I might pretend to," I joke. She laughs.

"Okay, then. Well, breakfast's ready. Riley made pancakes," she tells me.

I follow her upstairs and into the kitchen, where I see Riley with a pink apron and a chef's hat on. He turns around and slaps on a sad smile.

"I made some apologetic pancakes for you, Emily," he says, cautiously handing me the plate.

"Thanks Riley," I say with a smile before sitting down at the breakfast bar. I apply some maple syrup to my food before taking a big bite.