Chapter Nineteen

While we walk towards the bank, I can't help but be disappointed in myself. I'm supposed to be here on an investigation, but instead, I'm kissing one of the people in supposed to protect, and then expect it to be more than just it feeling "right."

All of a sudden, while I'm mentally scolding myself and face palming (also mentally), Connor's hand finds mine, surprising me. I look up at him, but all he does is smile down at me while intertwining our fingers. Can you say "mixed signals?"

We walk in, and there's a long line, so we wait. I look around and notice all of the cameras and security guards. One of them notices my gun, and his eyes widen. I quickly walk over as he's about to talk into his radio.

"Whoa, buddy. Hold on." I take out my badge and show it to him. "I'm with the FBI, so I'm allowed to have this. I can call my supervisor if you need me to."

"It's okay. It's just a precaution," he says. I nod and go back over to Connor. He immediately grabs my hand in his.

"What was that all about?" he asks.

"The guard saw my gun and had to take a precaution. I'm used to it," I say. He nods, and we step forward.

"You know, I keep thinking about that girl from the party. From what I can tell, she's really pretty."

Play it off, I tell myself as I pull my hand away from his, sticking it in my jacket pocket. He frowns but doesn't say anything.

"I met a guy at the party. He was very nice, and handsome, too," I say, just to piss him off. If he wants to play that game, then I'll play that game.

"Oh really, what did he look like?" he asks as we step forward.

"Dark brown hair, but not as dark as Riley's, teal eyes like mine, amazing cheekbones, and he had the perfect smile with such kissable lips," I say.

"How do you know that they were kissable?" he asks. I simply cock an eyebrow, and his face reddens with anger. Perfect.

"So you kissed him," he states as we step forward once again.

"Yeah, why?" I ask.

"Well, you originally told us that you were stuck in security the whole time," he says with a smirk.

"Exactly."

"Everybody, get down in the ground now!"

I look behind me to see a gun pointed at the both of us. I get down, pulling Connor down with me, and I lock my fingers behind my head.

"Now, I want five hundred thousand dollars before I go. If you follow, nobody gets hurt, got it?" Nobody does anything. "I said, GOT IT?!"

"Got it," we all answer. My earwig starts to ring in my ear, so I touch it while the man's back it towards me.

"Can't really talk right now. Kind of in a bank robbery," I whisper.

"That's what we were afraid of. Look, this isn't just any bank robbery. This man has robbed many banks, and he's a serial killer. He'll kill a hostage with three bullets to the chest after he lets everybody else go. He takes half a million dollars and goes before the police arrive. He plans these robberies out carefully," Agent Freeman explains.

"Well, good thing I'm here," I say.

"Just be careful, okay? We don't need a team leader dying," he says. The line goes dead, and I slowly reach for my gun.

"What the hell are you doing?" Connor whispers.

"Saving our lives." I take it out of its holster and stand up, pointing it at him.