Chapter Thirty-Five

Connor kisses my face all over, making me giggle with each peck. His lips finally land on mine once again, and when he's about to pull away, I hold him there, not wanting him to leave just yet.

"You have no idea how much I love you," he says.

"Not as much as I love you."

Connor's POV

I smile at her comment and check my phone to see if I have any texts.

"Hey, what time is it?" she asks.

"Seven forty-nine, why?" I ask.

"Just wondering. You know that visiting hours are going to be over in ten minutes, right?" she points out. I groan and plop down in the seat that's next to the bed.

"Don't remind me. I don't want them to be over yet," I whine.

"Don't worry. Once you go to bed, time will fly, and you'll see me sooner than you think," she says, grabbing my hand. I smile and kiss the back of hers, not wanting to let go.

"Hey, what time is it?" she asks.

"The same time as when I first answered you," I say, sounding unsure. "Do you not remember asking?"

She doesn't answer. Instead, her eyes stay on me, and then they start to close as her grip on my hand loosens. Alarms start to go off in the room, and many nurses rush in. They tell me to stand back, so I obey since they're letting me stay in the room. One of them presses a pen into the bottom of her foot, but nothing happens. Another starts to play a loud beeping noise, but she doesn't move. The doctor looks at me and frowns. The alarms are turned off, and nurses leave, leaving me alone with the doctor.

"Is she in a coma?" I ask, scared to hear the answer. I feel the tears start to well, and he nods. I drop into a seat and bury my head into my hands as I sob. The doctor rubs my back, trying to comfort me, but the only thing that wil comfort me is my girlfriend.

The only thing that's important to me.

*     *     *

By the time everybody reached the hospital, I was asleep from crying so much. Ethan shook me awake, and when I looked up at him, his eyes were red from shedding some tears himself.

Right now, I'm at home since I couldn't stay overnight. No matter how much begging Agent Freeman did, they wouldn't let me. So now I'm lying in my bed, just staring at the ceiling. I look at the time on my digital clock.

1:03 A.M.

Looking around the room, my eyes land on a picture frame. A couple of weeks ago, Riley was goofing around with our new DLSR camera, and while doing so, he accidentally snapped a picture of us laughing, her legs resting on my lap as we sit on the porch swing. (A/N: You know who you are) 

I smile at the picture and remember that day.

As we swing, I push the bench more, making us swing back and forth faster. She suddenly slips, almost falling, but I catch her. We both start to laugh, and I help her back up. Her arms are around my neck, but she's a few inches away. She takes one look at me and continues laughing. I must look like an idiot.

All of a sudden, we hear a shutter click. We look over to see Riley frozen in his tracks, his eyes like a deer's when it's stuck in headlights. He then looks down at the camera and smiles.

"Whatcha smilin' at, buddy?" Emily asks.

"This picture that I accidentally took of you guys," he says. He shows it to us, and I smile.

"It's perfect," I hear her whisper.

"Can you please get that developed for me?" I ask him. He nods and goes inside.

"Why do you want it developed?" Emily asks me, her arms still around my neck.

"I want to frame it and keep it in my room so that I can look at it when you're gone and I miss you," I admit. I feel my cheeks heat up as the blood rushes to my face. Her lips meet the skin on the side of my face, lingering a little.

"That's really sweet. Tell him to make two."

He never ended up giving her the picture. I got mine a few days ago, and I bought matching frames for us. I wanted to give it to her for our three month anniversary. I know, it sounds clingy, but when you really love somebody, you'll do anything to make them smile.