Chapter Thirty-One

I feel warm. Very warm. Something's seeping through my clothing and onto my back. It's uncomfortable. It smells like copper. I don't like the smell. Where have I smelt it before?

Crime scenes.

Now I feel cold. Extremely cold. Like I don't have any blood left in my body. This feeling, I don't know if it's worse than the other. All I know is that I want it gone.

I want to feel like myself.

Not like a dead body.

I can't even move. My body won't let me. It's like I'm paralyzed, but I can't be. I have a job that involves me to move. I have to run to catch the criminals. The murderers, the rapists, the kidnappers; everybody.

Where am I? It's too dark to tell. I'm looking around, hoping my eyes will adjust, but they don't. I can't blink.

Wait a minute.

My eyes are closed.

I can't open them.

Damn.

"I love you."

Who said that?

"Stay with me, Emily. I love you. Please stay."

It's Connor. Oh God, why can't I speak?! I love you, too, buddy. More than you know. Connor, I love you so much. If I could, I would kiss you right now and tell you that everything's going to be okay, but I can't speak.

"I love you, too."

I DID IT!

The sound of sirens start to ring through my head, and as they get louder, the headache that I didn't even know I had grows. Make it stop. Make the pain stop.

Make it all stop.