Chapter 4: The (Un)usual Evening Stroll

HAILEY'S P.O.V.

I couldn't stop thinking about Adrian's bracelet. Why did it look so familiar? Did I know him before? No! That was impossible. Mom said I knew nobody before my surgery. Although part of me didn't believe her. Chelsea couldn't be my only friend since the past 17 years! I couldn't be friendless for so long. Was I that much of a loner? I didn't know what to believe anymore. It was just too complicated. Annoyed, I decided to ask my mother. Any tiny bit of information could be of help right now.

I was lying on my bed thinking of all the possibilities why Adrian's bracelet was similar to the one in my dream. Everything was so messed up. My life was like a tangled rope. I try to untangle one part but at the same time another part gets tangled. I wish I could talk to somebody about it. If I told Chelsea that I thought Adrian and I had something before that surgery, she would go bonkers and would think I'd lost my mind to think of something like that. I got up, not being able to think anymore. I ran down to the kitchen where my mother was currently cooking lasagna for dinner. The aroma hit my nose suddenly and left me dazed. I heard my stomach rumble and chuckled to myself. I'd just eaten like an hour ago and I'd already gotten hungry again. But do you know what the best part of my body is? No matter how much I eat, I NEVER get fat. Actually, it was another side effect of my surgery. My metabolism rate had increased a lot and I felt hungrier.

"Mom?" I said and sat down on the kitchen island across her. Okay, Hailey. Stay calm and don't stutter. Gather some courage and open your mouth, girl! If she snaps, just drop it o-

"Earth to Hailey!" My mom yelled and startled me. Come on, me! Lets do this.

"Huh? Oh. Um. Sorry. I zoned out." I smiled at her sheepishly. She rolled her eyes at me and turned away.

"Hey, Mom? I was wondering.. If, you know? I had someone else in my life... Before my surgery... Other than.. Uhh.. Chelsea?" I spoke cautiously and waited for her. "Like, you know. A guy, maybe?" I finished and eagerly waited for her reply.

"Hailey... Sweetie. I've already told you. T-There was no one before that day. It was just... Us." She looked away while talking and a lot of emotions flashed on her face. Hurt, guilt and regret maybe?

"Are you sure?" I asked her not believing her one bit. "Because I think you're lying to me," I said annoyed.

"Why would I lie to you, Hun? You know I love you. And-And I do what's best for my daughter." She said softly and looked away. Really, Mom? That's the best you can come up with? You lie because you love me? Because that's what's best for me? Bull.

"You know what, Mom? I don't believe you. All these years I've kept quiet listening to all the lies you've said about my past but now I think that what you're saying about me not having anyone as a friend until ninth grade makes no sense to me. Are you saying that I was friendless and a complete loner till then?! You and I both know that that is completely bull. You know what? I'm-I'm tired. Tired of people lying to my face. Specially if one of those people is you, Mom! And I'm not going to ask you anymore about it. Because again, like every time, you're going to lie to me. Isn't that right?!" I spat angrily and got up. I fought the tears in my eyes and grabbed my coat and phone and walked out the front door slamming it shut. My mother yelled something but the banging of the door muffled her voice.

As soon as I stepped out, a cold gust of wind hit me and made me shiver. I pulled my coat closer and tightened it around me. Tears started flowing down my face when the thought of my mother lying to me all these years hit me. Why? That was the only thing that bothered me. Why did my mother lie to me? My eyes hurt with all the crying. My hair was flying and was out of place. It was going to be a pigeons nest by the time I got home. I fished in my pocket for a rubber band to tie the long brown strands of hair flying in my face. I pushed my fingers in the deepest corners if my jeans' pockets. Ah! Finall-