The Proposal

Normality is a paved road: It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow. -Vincent van Gogh

There is a Cycle of Abuse: 1. Increase in love and kindness 2—over-protection in the name of love 3. Power gained through isolation 4. Restrictive control of resources and activities 5. Punishment through anger or physical harm 6. Acting as if nothing happened. This was a never-ending cycle the friends experienced from Achilles through the years. On too many occasions, they had put Kai into a deep sleep from the stress of it all.

It's been a week since Kai had her anxiety attack, and she hasn't been the same since

It's been a week since Kai had her anxiety attack, and she hasn't been the same since. She woke up the next day and had this look that said, "something terrible is going to happen" I asked her everyday what was bothering her, but she refuses to tell me. Why won't she tell me? I'm her best friend! Ranae thought.

Ranae is snapped out of her thoughts when she hears a loud snap from the Avengers tower's gym.

"What was that!?" Ranae demanded as she rushed into the room.

"Umm... I may have just broken the balance beam..." Kai said sheepishly as she rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment.

With her words, Ranae finally looked around the room and saw what Kai had been speaking of. There, in the middle of the room, was a balance beam that was snapped in half.

"How did you do that? Wait! When did you start doing gymnastics?" Ranae questioned her best friend.

"I... umm... I've been practicing gymnastics since I was tiny. Joseph and Amanda didn't know that's what I was doing when I stayed late at school every day. Aphrodite encouraged it because she knew it would help me when I had to fight, so she funded it, and she also got your mom to train me. I haven't been able to practice in about a month... that's what I've been doing these past few days when I sneak away for a few hours. I broke it by accident when I kicked it as I fell..." Kai explained.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ranae asked.

"I don't know. The only person that knows is Ric because he spots me sometimes," Kai said with her eyes to the ground.

"Well, show me what you can do," Ranae requested.

To make her best friend happy, she showed her all the flips, tumbles, and tricks she could do. It was amazing what the tall girl could do, that was for sure.

 It was amazing what the tall girl could do, that was for sure