The Haunting Past

You think attention is love, and that is why you suffer so profoundly.

On the roof of the Avengers Tower

The last time I was up here was three years ago when I tried to take over the world, and the Avengers stopped me. Now that I look back, I'm glad they did because if they hadn't, then I would never have met my daughter. Hell, Aphrodite would hate me for killing our only child, Loki thought.

In front of Kailani and Loki stood a tall, curvy woman with ginger hair, deep blue eyes, flawless skin, and a purple dress that accented her curves

"Hello, Loki. It's been a long time, almost twenty-one years, if I remember right. How have you been?" Aphrodite asked sarcastically.

"I-I've been good. W-why didn't you tell me I had a daughter? I told you I wanted a child, and I want to have one with you. Why didn't you tell me we had a child!?" Loki asked, a little angry at the end.

"I did not tell you of Kailani because I knew our families would disapprove of our relationship, and that would put Kailani in even more danger. She does not need even more Gods trying to kill her. Several of the Titans have already tried to kill her and her friends. Her adopted parents died protecting her last year," Aphrodite replied in a calm tone.

"Father, Mother told me that if I ever chose that I wanted to meet you that she would allow it and would do her best to protect me. It has taken me seventeen years to finally come to terms with the fact that by meeting you, I would not only put myself in even more danger but those I cared about as well. I have grown stronger than people suspect in my twenty years on this earth, and I am finally willing to get to know you because I know that I can protect the ones I care about. Do not just be angry at Mother. Be angry with me as well if you are really going to be angry," Kai defended her mother.

"Kailani, I am not angry. I am just surprised that you were hidden from me, but I now see that it was also your choice. Even though I have not had your mother's luck to watch you grow up, I still love you. I will protect you and those you care about from anyone who wants to harm you because you are my daughter," Loki said, looking down into his daughter's eyes.

"I think that since we have everything sorted out, I should be going before Hephaestus says something to Zeus about my disappearance. I love you, Kailani, and I will talk to you soon. Loki, please take care of our daughter. She has more of me in her than any of my other children. I love her with all my heart and would not be able to handle it if she was killed," Aphrodite pleaded with Loki as she flew off towards Olympus.

"Come on, Kailani, we should get back to the others. Plus, this place brings back memories of a part of my past that I do not wish to think about," Loki said to his daughter as he placed a hand on her shoulder to transport themselves back downstairs.

Back downstairs