chapter one

I ran up the to building. Surprisingly Carmen and I were there on time. Only one bus was here. We get up early and walk to school we live in the same apartment building. Sometimes we spend nights at each other's places. "What was the point of getting here early I hate school." Carmen said frowning. I Shrugged. "I don't think that we should be late on the first day of school." I stated. She nodded. We sat on the steps waiting for people to come. A few of our friends walked by. We had already got our schedules. Kinda wondering who I'll have in my class. "Maya!" Carmen said causing me to stop daydreaming. "What?" I answered. She got up and ran and I followed her. She didn't run very far and I caught up to her. "Danny?" She said puzzled. He turned and looked at her before pulling his hood down. "Woah. Carmen and Maya?" He said in disbelief. Danny was a friend of ours from 5th grade. But when middle school came around he came for the first day then moved unexpectedly. In 7th grade we had a friend named Anthony who also moved after just one day. It was pretty silent for a few moments. I guess no one really knew what to say. A few more buses came in. "Where have you been?" I asked. He looked around. "Let's not talk about the past right now if that's okay." He answered late. Carmen looked at me and I looked at her not knowing what to say. "Eh this is very awkward." She said kicking a rock. "Hey what are your classes?" She asked him. Carmen and I have the same classes like we always do somehow. He got a paper out of his pocket and unfolded it then handed it to her. She looked over it and showed it to me. We both looked at it then realized we have two classes together. "Oh we have some classes together." Carmen said handing him his paperback. The bell rang and it was time for class. We walked up to school door that was propped open for the students. He walked inside trying to find our first period class, it was one of the classes we had together. We chose our own desk. Danny went and sat beside of Lily. Her facial expression was shocked at first but then they hugged. I rubbed my eyes sleepily. My friend Betty came and sat beside me. "Hey girl." She yelled in my ear. I stood up and hugged her. I haven't seen Betty the whole summer. We sat back down as the clock read 8:30. Class is suppose to start now. "Okay class I'll be your teacher my name is Mrs.Conner." The teacher said walking into the class and sitting at her desk. "If you are new to school this year please stand up and say something about your self so the class can get to know you." She added arranging some papers. Five students stood up. One was Danny. "Please take your hats off in the building." Mrs.Conner told one of the new students. This guy took of his hat. "Well my name is Carson. I am from Maryland." The guy who took of his hat said. He then sat back down putting his hat into his book bag. "Well my name is Danny. There isn't much to say about me." He said sitting down. "My name is Andria and I am from Maryland too." A girl said enthusiastically. She sat down. A few more kids introduced themselves but I stopped paying attention after Andria. I put my head on the desk. She didn't give us a assignment so everyone was talking quietly.

"I can agree." Carmen said. School was very boring. We were walking down the sidewalk home. Danny came and caught up to us. "Hey." He said. "Hey." We replied in unison. He seemed on edge though. "I guess.. I'll catch you guys later." Danny said crossing the street. "That wasn't weird at all." Carmen said with a high amount of sarcasm. "Agreed." I said as we reached our building. "Want to come over later or no?" She asked I Shrugged. "Well later." I said walking up the stairs. I'm on the 3rd level and she's on the 2nd. It's good to have a friend back. I walked into my room keeping the lights off. I was really tired and yawned falling asleep on my bed.