Chapter 15

Benny's POV
It's five a.m. I lay quietly with Dominique by my side. I know she's not asleep since I don't hear loud snoring. "Hey buddy, are you awake?" I ask her.

"Uh... Yeah, I can't really sleep."

"Yeah me neither, but hey, you know I love you with all my heart." She nods slowly. "And you know I love my brother as much too right." She repeatedly nods, " I just want you to know to be careful with who you chose at the end. Remember, if you break my brothers heart again, you'll break mine too."

Dominique turns to me quietly. "Benny, you know I would never do that on purpose.. it's just- I love your brother, I really do but there's something about Zayn that draws me towards him."

We both stare at the ceiling just laying side by side in a twin size hospital bed in an empty room. I grab Dominique's hand tightly thinking this will be our last memory together. We took our first steps together, walked hand in hand going into kindergarten, studied for our hardest exams, getting each other ready for our first dates and dances, we were there for each others heartbreaks. How can I do this to her? How can I leave her in this world alone? I know my brother deserves to live a long and healthy life but so do I.

I sit up and turn to Dominique quickly. "I'm not doing it, I'm not going to give Josh my heart... and neither are you." Dominique looks at me with the most confused look I've ever seen. "Listen Dom, we can't do this. We're too young! We have so much to look forward to in life. We're not going to give that up for Josh. That may be selfish of me to say but we can't just end our life too soon... Josh wouldn't want that."

"You're right Benny." Dominique lets out a big sigh of relief. "Thank God you came to your senses! I couldn't imagine my life without you Sabrina Shields." She nuzzles her head in the crook of my neck. "You can't leave me alone in this scary world. You need to be here to fix my dress when I get married, and be there holding my hand when I push out my first kid. We already picked out our retirement home when it comes time. You just can't leave me yet."

I push myself over to the edge of the bed and let my feet dangle, barely touching the ground. Now I have to go find the doctor and tell him he needs to let my brother die because he doesn't have a healthy heart. I can't find the power to stand up and walk out our empty room. Is this really selfish of me to want to live my life? I want to be able to have kids and build a house with my husband. I want to be able to go on family vacations and put my kids in daycare while my husband and I get drunk by the pool at noon. I feel like this is the first time I've ever put any thought in my future. What if my future isn't water polo? What if it's going to a four year and getting an actual job. What if my future isn't Liam but my soulmate is waiting for me at uni. How can I even be thinking about myself when my brother is in the next room dying.

I finally get the will power to push myself off the bed and go next door to my brothers room. I walk into a room with no bed and my parents sitting on two little chairs by the window. My heart stopped for a split second. "Mom.. Daddy... Where's Josh? Where did they take him?"

_____________________

I know no ones going to read this but since 1Ds 10 year anniversary is today I decided to just finish it.... hopefully it won't be so cringe...

I started this 7 years ago and reading it now makes me want to hurl but I realized this was left as a cliffhanger so my plan is to finish it even if no one reads it :)

And since I was doing weird facts about me in the last chapters I guess I'll keep going with it...

Weird fact about me #6...

I'm 23 and I'm finishing a cringe story that was started in 2013 during this pandemic.