Chapter 9: Finding Burgerpants

Frisk couldn't say she was that surprised by (Y/N)'s actions. Most of the people in their squadron knew of her less-than-legal methods of work. It wasn't a new thing, for a cop to attack and even kill a perp; at least (Y/N) only attacked when necessary, no biases to fuel her actions. As the two calmly walked away, Frisk shot a look at the other; she was zipping up her jacket to hide the blood, and Frisk licked her own thumb and rubbed it on the bloody one's cheek. "So," Frisk asked, finally lowering her hand, "where now?"

"Breakfast?" (Y/N) suggested. Frisk nodded, grinning - food was always a good distraction from her dear friend's more psychotic moments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Y/N) munched happily on a waffle, the earlier emotional silence lifted. Frisk picked at her eggs, not much one for full meals - though, she knew her friend needed it. (Y/N) chattered merrily of books, dreams, and other things Frisk wasn't quite listening too. "Frisk," (Y/N) whined, smile drooping slightly when she realized Frisk hadn't been paying attention, "I'm trying to tell a story!"

How (Y/N) could go between stone-cold violence and childish play, Frisk may never know. "Right, right, sorry. I was, uh, thinking about Asriel. What were you talking about?"

"A dream!" (Y/N) said happily, probably choosing to ignore Frisk's comment on Asriel to spare herself thoughts of Sans. 'If anything,' Frisk mused, 'she may be trying to distract me.'

"What was it about?" Frisk asked, taking a large bite of her eggs.

"A shooting," came the casual reply (A/N: Actually happened to my last night, it was weird af).

Frisk choked, having to cover her mouth lest she spit up all over the table. "Wh-what?!" She finally forced out.

(Y/N) poured syrup across the entirety of her food; waffles, eggs, hash browns and all - how she could eat that, Frisk had no idea (A/N: Don't ask why, just know some people do that and it's delicious). "Well, we were at (High School), except it was kinda also Disneyland. We had to go outside because of a drill, and it was night. We were nearest to the front gate, and I suggested we move away, lest something happen and we get hurt. Right as we moved, a saw a woman holding a pistol. I stumbled back and yelled for everyone to run, and then she started shooting; everyone ran into the building. We went to the downstairs bathroom. What was weird was that we were our normal age, which makes the setting even weirder than normal. Plus, there were escalators, and our old gym teacher was dressed like Minnie Mouse. . ."

"So, I know what I'm smoking, but what the fuck are you on?" A voice from behind asked. Both of the girls turned around to see a boy on his knees, facing them. Dirty orange hair, thin face and rumpled uniform of an obvious fast-food restaurant. Both cops recognized him as Burgerpants, close assistant of Mettaton.

"I think a better question would be what am I not on," (Y/N) replied, shoveling a forkful of food into her mouth. Burgerpants and Frisk both shuddered, watching the syrup drip from the fork back onto the plate. She swallowed, raising a brow at the other two. "What? What's the face for? Actually, I don't care. Burgerpants, can we ask you a few questions?"

Burgerpants narrowed his eyes at them, studying each of their faces. "You guys are the ones who brought down that drug dealer, right?" He finally asked. They both nodded. He moved around and plopped next to Frisk, taking a slow sip of his coffee. "What d'you need me for, little buddies?"

Frisk mumbled something, which to (Y/N) sounded like, 'I think I'm older than you,' but it was ignored. "We're working on a kidnapping case, and we found three links between everyone involved; you, your boss, and another detective. However, we're a little unclear on what connection there is." Here, (Y/N) pulled out all the files they'd gotten from Hans and Duke, spreading them in front of Burgerpants - Frisk had to hold her plate in her lap.

Burgerpants first picked up (Y/N) and Frisk's files, flipping through their folders and handing them back. "We all went to the same school, apparently," he said, finishing the last of his drink. Next, Sans' was reviewed. "Nap and I were friends." His voice cracked slightly when saying the dead man's name - they all took a moment of silence for their fallen friend. "He, uh, introduced me to Sans a few times." Burgerpants played COD with Papyrus and Asriel. When it came to Dimitri, he paused, studying the photo carefully. It took him a few moments to work the link out, but he managed; apparently, Napstablook had some unofficial therapy visits Burgerpants had tagged along for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, that was worthless," Frisk said, walking out of the diner

"Not so," (Y/N) replied, linking arms with Frisk. "All we need to do now is find Mettaton and Toriel, find out how they know all of us, and figure out who would be most likely to hurt us, based on those connections." Frisk rose a brow, but said nothing. "Don't worry, kiddo. We got this."

"But you don't," Chara whined, flopping onto the floor in frustration. She had been listening to the conversation, and had come to the conclusion that the two would never make the connection. Not anytime soon, anyway. Perhaps, if Chara was careful, she could let (Y/N) know who it was. . . After talking about what she wanted out of it. Chara wasn't going to help for nothing, after all. But what did she want? Eh, it didn't matter, she'd think of something.

She always thought of something.