Chapter 15: Afraid

"I swear, you're dead for two minutes and the world goes to shit," Chara hissed, running a hand through her hair in agitation. Her sweater was rumpled, jeans hanging low on her hips. A knife was tucked inside her sleeve, melding with her skin and becoming one with her person; that's how (Y/N) thought of it, anyway. She glared at the screen, eyes skimming over the two fights and focusing on the center. There, laughing madly at the chaos she had caused, was Chara's sister. When (Y/N) looked closely, she thought she could make out tears .

"To be fair," (Y/N) countered, adjusting her shirt, "it's been a few hours." She looked at the first group, studying their forms. Hitler and Flowey, otherwise known as Frisk and Asriel, were going back and forth. As far as she could tell, neither of them had weapons - that didn't make them any less dangerous, though. The shade was fairly confident in her friends' and their ability to survive, but she'd have to intervene sooner rather than later. On the other side of the room, Sans and Papyrus raced around each other. Sans looked angry, eyes practically glowing and an insane smile. He wasn't in his right mind, and that made all the difference. She wasn't afraid her boyfriend would get hurt, no, he was a big boy. His brother? Papyrus was crying, dodging attacks and tripping over his own feet in exhaustion. She couldn't tell what he was saying, but she didn't need to. He was scared, and confused, and maybe a little angry. It broke her heart in any case. She checked the knife that was in her pocket, prepared to kill but hoping against it. "Now, how do we get down there?"

"Simple, my pet," Chara cooed, looking a little too excited for (Y/N)'s taste. "We focus on going down there, projecting ourselves onto the physical world. We focus on what we want to do, to save everyone and kick ass and punch a fucker in the face. Got it?"

(Y/N) was fairly certain there was more to it than that, but all she could do was nod her head. 

Focus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turns out, focusing was easier than she thought. The determination to save her loved ones, to solve the problem, to protect them gave her strength. When she opened her eyes, a knife was flying at her face. 

She didn't even react, allowing the knife to pass through her body and bury itself in the wall. Chara had thrown it; she was in front of Dimitri, knives swirling around her like a storm. Dimitri had the grace of a dancer, twirling around the weapons and evading Chara's grasp. From what (Y/N) could tell, Chara was simply trying to pin her in place. They were yelling at each other, but (Y/N) didn't have the time to listen. She sprinted towards Sans and Papyrus, sliding in front of the younger and throwing her arms out. 

Sans stabbed her in the stomach, twisting the blade. Of course, it didn't affect her in the slightest, but the intent was there. A look of vague understanding crossed his face, and he withdrew the blade. Instead of trying to attack her again, he tried to walk through her. With a lurch of her stomach, she solidified her form, pushing him away and backing Papyrus into a corner. Pap was stuttering, clearly confused as to how she was there. 

The killer was smart, that much (Y/N) knew well. She hadn't expected him to catch up so quickly, though. He rushed her again, one hand prepared to push through and the other to stab her. Pap, thankfully, moved past her, running along the walls as Sans ran through. His head whipped around, and he was chasing his brother faster than (Y/N) could blink. 

She took off after them, trying to come up with a plan. "PLEASE, BROTHER, STOP! IT IS I, PAPYRUS, NOT THE ONE WHO HURT (Y/N)!" Papyrus yelled, sidestepping the other and receiving a nasty cut on the arm. 

"Liar!" Sans howled, twisting into Pap's path and pinning him against the wall. He pushed one arm against Pap's throat, the other holding the knife. "You killed her, so I'll kill you!"