11

disconnected

          i feel the silence surrounding me, swallowing my own brain. the silence is defeaning and demanding to ache.

          but i don't let it.

          opening my eyes, the white lights on the ceiling blind me for seconds before i adjust my sight to the painful brightness.

          it's too bright and i hate it. i despise it. i want my usual darkness, glooming over me and breaking my being from the rest of the world.

          i want to be disconnected from brightness. i don't need it in my life. all the lights of my life had been taken away from me. i don't need another one.

          my eyes adjust to my surrounding and i find myself alone in a room with equally white walls, brighter than the lights themselves.

          "where am i?" i question, "where am i?" i repeat, louder this time.

          i am dressed in a hospital gown and i realize that i've been lying down on a single bed with a thin mattress.

          she's in here with me.

          "i told you, michael."

          my head snaps towards the direction of her voice and she stands in the corner of the room, this time wearing a hospital gown, too.

          her raven black hair drape over her shoulders and her skin is pale. she looks like the demons that haunt me in my nightmares back when i used to fall asleep.

          "i told you i'd bring you back home."