Chapter 24

At that moment, I really started to like this new shop. We almost made it through the doors of the cafe when my other hand was gripped. I spun around as did Phil to find that last person I would expect to be at this shopping center. Yep, you guessed, Sam.

"What are you doing here, boys?" Sam said with a smirk.

"What's it to you, Sam? The bigger question is what are you doing here? You do realize where you are right?" Phil retorted pulling me behind him.

"You don't know me, Lester. Maybe I'm as gay as your fag boyfriend" Sam blurted, getting the attention of two staff members wondering around the tables.

"YOU! LEAVE RIGHT NOW!" one of the men said storming in past Phil and I, pointing a finger at Sam with so much hate in his eyes. Sam started yelling at Phil and I and was saying every insult in history.

I was startled, I didn't know how to react. Soon enough three people were screaming at Sam as Sam screamed back and Phil and I tiptoed back to a stall in the far corner while I shook, almost in tears from everything happening at once.

"Dan, are you okay?" Phil said looking worried, taking my hands in his as we sat, sitting across from each other is the small corner stall. I was shaking, tears were falling down my face and I felt like every bad thing I have ever seen or heard was playing over and over in my head and I couldn't get out of it.

It was like my thoughts were too loud that I couldn't hear reality. I could see Phil in front of me and I could see his mouth moving but all I could hear was every negative thing I have ever heard playing on loop, all at the same time.

"I need a glass of water" I tried to speak, I'm not even sure if I had said anything at all. I could tell Phil was asking for help when he stood up out of the stall. I started trying to breathe deeply because I knew I was freaking out and that I needed to calm down as soon as possible.

Phil came back with a paper cup of water and I took a big gulp and tried to focus again on my breathing. This had never happened before, sure, I've cried until I've shaken before but this was all over Sam. Not to mention the staff of the cafe took it out of my hands so I didn't really even have anything to worry about.

All of the voices in my head stopped but everything outside of my thoughts got louder. I could hear Sam yelling profanities towards Phil and I, along with every other person in the LGBTQ+ community. I could hear the staff and security of the shopping center yelling things back at him.

After a few minutes, security took Sam away from the front of the shop. I could see him giving the staff of the cafe the bird as the security men pulled him out of the shopping center. I took another sip of my water and put my hand in Phil's before I felt tears drop from my chin to my shirt. I wiped my face with the sleeve of my hoodie and when I looked up all of the staff were walking towards our booth.

I couldn't speak so Phil did most of the talking, explaining what happened and who Sam was. I was trying to not think about everything that just happened. I counted the scratches on the wooden table I was sat at, blocking out all the noise around me while people sorted everything out.

my phone buzzed in my pocket, I took it out and stared at the screen. I had a message from Adrian saying that I needed to come home asap. I replied that I was with Phil and that stuff happened and I couldn't leave yet and he simply replied
'be back before dinner.'

I looked up from my phone to be greeted with the eyes of Phil and two employees of the café.

"why is everyone looking at me?" I asked, mostly to Phil but the employees replied in unison;

"Are you okay?" 

"I mean, I guess," I said, taking another sip of water. Phil took my hand. He kissed my hand and the cafe granted us with free coffee and hot chocolate. 

*On the way home from the shopping center*

Phil and I walked down the road, it was just drizzling, drops of water landing on the leaves of trees that lined the road we walked. We walked hand in hand. I listened to every sound around me. We were far away enough from the traffic to not hear it but not far enough away that there wasn't any traffic at all, as the occasional car zoomed past. 

I focused on everything I could hear. The sounds of Phil's feet on the pavement with my footsteps following next to his, the soft sound of Phil's breath and the chirps of the birds in the trees above us. I was soaking up the silence, everything always seems to be loud and this is a quiet road where you can hear the birds conversing which is always nice.

"Dan," Phil said, turning his head to me. I looked to him and he spoke again.

"How long have we been dating?" He questioned. Still walking down the road with our hands locked I had a quick think, I don't actually know the date of when Phil and I started dating. 

"I mean, a while, a good few months," I said quietly, squeezing Phil's hand. 

"Yeah, a long time. I know it's rude to invite yourself to other people's houses but maybe I could go to your house sometime? We've been together so long and I've never seen your house!" Phil said with big eyes. I sighed and looked at me feet.

"Why ae you so against me going to your house?" Phil said, as he stopped walking and took my other hand in his. I hesitated to look into his eyes, mainly because of fear but also from guilt because how dare I not invite my boyfriend anywhere, what kind of person does that make me?

"Okay Phil, I hope you have money on your oyster card, my house is a bit of a trip away,"

Phil pulled me into a sweet kiss and we headed to the closest bus stop. Phil knows my Mum isn't the best when it comes to homosexuality but lets see how this goes. 

*HI SO OBVIOUSLY I HAVENT REALLY BEEN UPDATING A LOT AND THERE IS SO MUCH I WANTED TO DO WITH THIS FIC BUT IM JUST NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO IT WITH SCHOOL AND LIFE AND EVERYTHING, PUTTING THIS ON TOP IS TO MUCH. IM SORRY. IM ALSO NOT GOING TO TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENS NEXT OR HOW IT ENDS BECAUSE I HAVE WRITTEN SO MANY PLANS THERE IS TO MUCH TO PUT IN A PARAGRAPH. IM SORRY BUT THIS IS LIKELY THE LAST CHAPTER FOR A LONG LONG TIME. IF YOU WANT TO TELL ME HOW MUCH I SUCK I HAVE THE LINKS TO ALL MY MEDIA ON MY ACCOUNT SO FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME. AS FOR EVEYTHING ELSE, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING AND ILL HOPEFULLY TALK TO YOU ANOTHER TIME. WITH LOTS OF LOVE, BROOKELYN.*