Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Chris

I woke feeling like someone had stepped on my head countless times with only the banging of my head for sound. I could feel that I wasn't lying down straight like I was supposed to be but sitting leaning with my back to what must be a wall. I could feel my eyes trying hard to open but with the bonding of my head, they wouldn't. I tried to bring my head up to rub my eyes awake but they felt too heavy.

Ok, there was no denying I was suffering from a very bad hangover or I was still drunk. I managed to open my eyes to find myself on the floor of the bar. I squeezed my eyes tight again trying to clear my vision from the brightness of the room, it wasn't daylight, more dusk but I could tell it was early.

I looked down and saw that I looked a state; my suit was creased with spilt drinks all over it. I looked like I was back at UnI waking up still drunk in some bar.

What happened last night?

I tried to think back to when I started getting myself in this state but the only memory that came to mind was Leah leaving my room last night heartbroken. She thought I was a player, she thought that I wanted to be with other women but she couldn't be any more wrong.

I was angry that she said 'Once a player always a player' it was true but hearing it from her lips made it feel that bit more painful. I was angry, not at her but myself. I knew this would happen, I knew that my past would stop me from making her happy and I would end up hurting her. Now, look at how things went. I ruined everything.

I took the bottle of Jack Daniels that was lying next to me like it knew what I needed like fate had wanted me to keep drinking until the pain of losing her was gone. I took another sip of the whiskey enjoying the burn of the liquid run down my throat but I knew however much I drank the pain wouldn't go away and seeing as Leah would never take me back after last time I would just have to get used to it.

I should have handled things much better last night, I should have fought for her more, instead of letting my anger overpower me. I should have got down on my hands and knees and begged for her back or ran after her instead of staying here and getting drunk.

With that I drank the rest of the bottle next to me I could feel my whole body starting to feel warm and my brain was starting to forget what an idiot I was last night and my heart just kept on thinking about Leah... in my arms. How had everything gotten so bad? Only twenty-four hours ago I was lying in a warm bed with her body wrapping around my own and now... I had no idea where Leah was and I was lying on a dirty hotel bar floor.

For some strange reason, I started singing too myself the song Leah sang in the bar the other day.

"Baby you're... a fireeee a workkk! Bla bla something what yourrrr worth something... something ah ah ah... la la la..."

"Chris?" a voice squelched sharp in my head. I must have fallen back to sleep as I found it hard again to open my eyes to the person standing in front of me. After rubbing my eyes open I saw it was Leah's Nan standing shocked looking down at him on the floor. I was yelling at myself for looking so pathetic, I didn't want her thinking that of me. But either my body or my brain seemed to know what it was doing.

"Maggieee!" I grinned bring my arms out wanting to hug her.

"What happened to you, Chris? Are you drunk?" she asked moving closer towards me.

'Would YOU like to... know what...? WHAT...Happened to me... lovely Margaret? Your enchanting Granddaughter happened that's what" I said in a dramatic tone to her. My words were coming out slurry and at different volumes and levels that I couldn't seem to control.