Chapter 3

Chapter 3

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday morning!

I felt like a kid again, Saturday NO SCHOOL! But now it was NO WORK for a whole week but a whole week with my family. Joy!.

For a change I didn't dream about Chris last night! But it was a nightmare instead. The same nightmare I've had since I left home, at the leaver's party with my cousin Alex and the last night I saw my family. Accept from my granddad and step-Nan, I have no one who I can really call family. My grandparent's always believed in me, when my actual parents always thought me a disappointment.

When I was at school, I was never good at... well anything really. I hated maths, I mean I can count but why would I ever need to know the square root of pie in my everyday life. I haven't used it yet! I didn't understand science! Why does the Earth rotate around the sun? I don't know because it does, why question it! Why do we need to have to answer that! English... well the day the teachers told my dad that they thought I was dyslexic. He got that teacher fired.

He said "How dare she! To think that a daughter of mind would be... that! There is no such thing as dyslexia it's all laziness of the mind. We'll fix this don't worry" he said to me, I was only fourteen but as time went on he could tell that it wasn't just being lazy.

I couldn't really read or spell at the same age as the other children, I understood all the rules, I just couldn't remember them. I didn't speak like everyone else in my family either because... well to be honest because I never could understand the words they were saying.

Still can't really.

Over the years I tried to hide it from everyone until it came to the time of doing my exams and told my father I failed all of them and they thought the reason was that I was dyslexic he looked at me like I had some sort of disease!

Like I was a disgrace to the family name.

I failed all my A levels that my father knew I was taking but he ever knew I did Art and Music until the day of my results. I got A's in both subjects, I loved Art and I loved music.

They were the only things I'm good at, the only subjects where I feel I can do but my mum and dad would have none of it, my dad said

"You will never make money out of being an artist and I won't have a daughter of mine being some musician, you will never make any money" everything in our family went around money! I understood that it was important and without it you can't survive but it shouldn't go ahead of your dreams!

"What do you think you will be Leah, a singer? Is that it? Well you won't. Your head is full of dreams. We've let you get too wild" my Mum would say, cocktail in hand as always.

"I don't care. I don't need to make money to be happy. and I don't want to be a singer I want to help make music... like composing but I can sing mum and I'm good with music you've heard me, I'm ok. I just know that this is the only thing I'm good at and it would make me happy" I begged trying to show them the best I can that this was something I needed to do.

"We are your parents and we know what is best for you and we say you will not be doing art or music anymore do you understand me" my Mother yelled.

"Granddad said I'm good and he said he thinks it's a great idea about making music" I shouted back not wanting to back down like always!

I needed to fight for what I wanted Nan said and I was trying to do just that but I knew... I knew they would never back down to this.