Jū yon ⇀ Reincarnation

Darkness. Complete and absolute darkness. Perhaps this was actually what death felt like? There was no light at the end of some long and peaceful tunnel. There was just darkness. There was one thing Itachi was sure of, however, he felt no pain in this darkness. And the longer he lay there, motionless, in the endless abyss of black, waiting for something to happen -- something to reach out to him -- the more sure he became that nothing was going to happen.

     Perhaps he done something horrible and unforgivable while he was living that warranted him to never to see light again, to never feel anything. Should he have showed more emotion to his loved ones? Should he had actually killed Hidan for hitting on [Name]? ...Probably. Should he had been more forward with his feelings for [Name]? Did he have regrets? He didn't have long to ponder on the innumerable, unanswered questions roaming his mind, because immediately past memories started assaulting him.

     He and [Name] were back at Otagakure Sanitarium, they were in his room on his bed and in each others arms. He couldn't help but to smile at the memory, he remembered this night well.

     [Name] giggled as she situated her head on Itachi's chest, her [h/l] [h/c] hair fanning out over his chest as he lay on his back. He smiled in return at her.

     "You never told me what you were going to do as soon as you got out of this hell, Itachi," she sighed out in relaxed contentment and turned her head to place a chaste kiss on his chest, through his shirt before slipping her arms around his midsection.

     Itachi sighed, blinked, waited.

     She couldn't see his face, but even if she could have, Itachi wasn't betraying any sort of emotion that night. Haunting memories of the past had plagued him, but he had kept it to himself, he felt a million times better, so much calmer, just having her there with him, in his arms.

     "I've told you about my brother before? Sasuke." He finally said, his onyx eyes stared fixedly at the ceiling and she didn't move.

     "Yeah, I can tell how close you both used to be. How much you love him."

     At this, a small smile came to Itachi's lips, he couldn't help himself as he slowly and carefully disentangled their legs and moved his over the side of the bed, so he could reach out and open the drawer of his nightstand. It didn't take him long before he took what he was in search for out, like he knew exactly where it was at, and made himself comfortable once more.

     This time [Name] propped herself up on her elbows and forearms to get a better look at him.

     "What's that?" She inquired with interest.

     Itachi simply reached what looked like a photograph to her. When her hand grasped the photo and her eyes took in the sight of a smiling, younger Itachi and a smiling, blushing much younger Sasuke, she looked back at him with a bright smile of her own.

     "Itachi, this is so precious."

     "We really we close at some point. That's what I want, to be close to him again. He's the only family I have left. I'm going to strive for his forgiveness when I get out of this place. At least that's one thing I'm going to do."

     "What's the other?" She gave the photo back to him, and wrapped him back in her arms.

     He smiled, "I'm going to make a life with you. Where ever that life may lead us, I know it's going to lead us to happiness. And you deserve to be happy, [Name]." He kissed her gently on the cheek.