San ⇀ Makings of a Confidant

**   

      As soon as Itachi decided to venture out of his room the first thing - or person - he came into contact with was Hidan. The sociopath's face was pressed against the glass window of his door, the same door that was keeping him caged inside his room, and his purple eyes scorched into Itachi. Of course Itachi just stared at him, unmoved and uninterested as he waited for his manic laughing to subside. When he finally calmed down Hidan began to speak.

    "So, the fucker finally comes out of his room voluntarily! She's an interesting bitch, ain't she? Hottest piece of ass this hell hole has ever seen!" He laughed again, it echoing throughout his room and his breath fogging up the glass. Itachi scoffed.

     "Stay away from her..."

      With his warning said he turned, aiming to get as far away as possible only to walk away from a deranged laughing madman. He seriously had to watch him.

        It was true, the Uchiha was not used to coming out of his room during his leisure time, but things were slightly different and he had this burning urge to get to know more about [Name]. She was fascinating, she was sane(ish?) -- she could actually carry on an intellectual conversation and that alone intrigued him. Besides, they decided that they were going to become friends, everyone wants to know more about their friends, right?

        Suddenly, Itachi's attention was captured by a sudden movement at the Nurses' station. He didn't stop walking, but his eyes watched as one of the head nurses' took a key from a locked drawer on the side of her desk in the back and went toward a door hidden on the far side of the room; a door that he'd never even noticed until now. Though, he completely ignored the odd occurrence and went on his way toward the direction of [Name]'s room; the opposite hall of his. On his way there he stopped as he walked by the sanitarium's cafeteria. There she was, sitting at a table near the one and only huge window in the vicinity eating, well, poking at the food sitting in front of her. The sunlight reflected off her features and Itachi had to catch his breath and compose himself before he straightened up and started walking toward the food line.

        Thankfully the food line wasn't long, never was considering the big, bald guy in the hairnet never gave out any appealing foods, but Itachi grabbed his meatloaf? - and then started walking toward [Name]'s table. He sat down in front of her, though not before leaning in to grab her attention.

"Is it alive?"

        She looked up at him and smiled. "Maybe, in any case I don't think I can stomach to eat it.." She chuckled, Itachi returned her laugh and then looked down at his food.

"Yeah, you're right. It does look... strange. With all the different variations of colors I wouldn't be surprised if Sasori somehow managed to put some of his poison's in."

        She laughed loudly causing people's attention to turn their way. Itachi smiled at her, but [Name] covered her mouth and the tops of her cheeks turned pink in embarrassment. Eventually she cleared her throat and continued talking. "That's the red haired guy right? The one with the creepy detached look in his eyes?"

        "Yes, it is. Do you know his back story?"

        "Nope. He was on his way in here when I was on my way out."

        An awkward silence enveloped them for a couple of short seconds. Itachi was afraid to bring something up that she didn't want to talk about. So, he kept quiet. [Name] looked away, toward the food line, before poking at her food and pushing it away from her. "Can I ask you something?" Itachi nodded and sat down his plastic utensils and pushed his food away as well. "Why in the world does a bald lunch server need a hairnet?"