Shortcut to Mushrooms

Many weeks had passed since Gandalf had disappeared on your doorstep; well Frodo's doorstep, but Bag End had sort of become a second home for you for the time being. You really had no choice, being lost in a strange land. Trying to make you feel as at home as possible Frodo took you on tours of Hobbiton, and even down to Frog-morton and into Buckland to visit his cousins Merry and Pippin. Both were equally mischievous in every way and consistently hungry. You wouldn't have been surprised if you had gained a bit of weight living with Frodo because of their eating schedule. There was breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner AND supper! After feeling bloated for about a week you decided that it was best to just eat smaller portions and feel full all day!

It hadn't been easy though, even with the merry crew of hobbits. There were nights that you had so desperately missed your old life. Your family, your friends, your home and the things that you used to do. You never thought of yourself as the homesick type, but this time you knew that there was no conceivable way home! Even if you wanted to go back you couldn't! There would be the occasional night that tears had been shed, mostly because of the confusion and questions rambling through your head. Apparently hobbits had very good senses, because Frodo had heard you one night and came in to see if you were alright. It was completely embarrassing for a bit until he began to comfort you with a good cup of camomile. From that night on Frodo started to become a very good friend, and someone you needed to rely on.

On the news of the ring; Frodo had tossed it in an old treasure chest, and never really bothered to take it out since Gandalf left. You had all but forgotten it most of the days, except on those in which you missed home, though it wasn't as simple as you might have thought. One merry night on your return from the Green Dragon, a small tavern near Bywater, you had the immediate sense that something was amiss in Bag End. Pitch blackness invaded every corner, being that there were no candles lit or fire struck, making it an eerie place. What made you on edge was the fluttering windows in the living room, blowing about papers on Frodo's table. You could've sworn they were locked before you left!

Glancing around a bit, you couldn't find anything so you turned to get a few candles lit when a hand roughly grasped your shoulder. You let out a squeal before noticing the face it belonged to. Gandalf immediately whispered to you with frantic eyes, "Is it secret?! Is it safe?!"

It took you a bit to calm down and realize just what he was talking about, but you soon remembered. After lighting a fire and some candles, Frodo quickly searched for the envelope and gave it to Gandalf who immediately fed it to the flames, "What are you doing?!" Frodo exclaimed, a bit alarmed.

Letting the paper burn away, Gandalf reached in with a prong to remove it, "Hold out your hand, Frodo. It's quite cool." Dropping it into Frodo's open palm, he questioned him, "What can you see? Can you see anything?"

Turning the piece of gold over and over, Frodo shook his head, "Nothing... There's nothing."

You peered over to take a closer look yourself, "Wait... Look, there's script. It's a different language. I can't read it."

Gandalf turned at your remark, looking like a heavy burden laid on his shoulders, "There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor which I will not utter here."

"Mordor?" Your brow furrowed, never hearing that name in conversations around the shire.

"In the common tongue it says, 'One ring to rule them all. One ring to find them. One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them." The very words that Gandalf spoke felt ominous, and rather evil.

Turns out, this one ring was capable of unimaginable evil, as Gandalf helped fill in the pieces to the puzzle. It was forged by the dark lord Sauron in the fires of mount doom, and taken by Isildur, a well known king off the hand of Sauron himself. Bilbo found it, long ago in Gollum's cave, and for sixty years he kept it, prolonging his life and delaying old age. Though Sauron was presumably destroyed, his spirit endured somehow. His life force is bound to the ring, and the ring survived. Sauron has returned.