Journey To Helm's Deep

It was challenging, trying to ride with your staff in one hand and steering with the other. If you were at a slow walk, you were able to rest the end of your staff upon your foot without worrying about smacking anyone in the face with either end. That little incident had happened to poor Gimli a couple of times before you were able to get the hang of it, and Gimli thanked you on behalf of his throbbing nose.

"It's a good thing you didn't hit Legolas with that thing! Wouldn't want to ruin his pretty face." He scrunched his nose up, trying to get rid of the sting.

"I'm sorry. I really didn't mean it!" You grimaced at the his swollen nose.

Gimli shrugged, "Eh, no real harm done! Just as handsome as ever."

"I agree!" Legolas rode up beside you, smirking, "In facts its an improvement. I'm sure one more whack along your brow should do the trick." He reached down with his bow and tapped Gimli's helmet.

Gimli growled and shook his axe at the elf, chasing him ahead, "I oughtta split your pointy-eared head in two!"

Legolas just chuckled as he looked back at Gimli's all around red features. You shook your head, "I'm sure he means no harm, Gimli."

"No of course not, he's just buggin' for an excuse to talk to ya."

Your brain skipped slightly, trying to understand what he meant, "What?"

"Ach! NOW he's just showin' off!" Gimli threw his hands up at the elf a few paces in front of you, prancing Arod around with a large grin on his face.

You bit your lip in thought, "Gimli... What do you mean by 'an excuse to talk to me?' Why would he need an excuse, he talks to me whenever he wants."

"It cause he likes you lassie! I'm surprised you haven't figured it out yet..." He mumbled under his breath.

You tried to process this new information, a part of you still trying to rationalize it, "Well... I like him too. He's a good friend!"

Gimli rolled his eyes, "Ach! For crying out loud! He's in way over his head with you!"

Your jaw dropped at the sudden comment, looking around wondering if anyone else was listening in, "No, Gimli... No, that's not—."

"Not what?! Possible? Oh, It's possible! He goes on and on about you when you're not around. It's the one time I can't get the elfling to shut his trap!"

"Gimli..." Your face started to get flushed at the topic.

Gimli didn't seem to understand the whole secrecy thing, and kept rambling, "No really! There was this one time on the River Anduin, before you got kidnapped mind you~" He was cut off by the sight of Legolas riding back towards you, "Oh! Here he comes. I never said anything!" He shuffled very quickly away from you and into the crowd of people over towards Eowyn and Aragorn.

You barely had anytime to recuperate yourself before Legolas pulled up beside you, "Is he still badgering you about you whacking him in the nose?"

You shook your head, "Nope. Just... talking about... stuff." Inside, you mentally face palmed at your choice of words. That was so obviously a lie it wasn't even funny!

A small smirk tugged on the corner of his lips, but he let it go, "How is Húroduil treating you? You seem to be getting a feel for it."

You sighed internally, grateful for the change of subject, "You call smacking a dwarf in the face getting a feel for it?" You chuckled.

Legolas grinned, "Well, you haven't hit anyone else in the face... I think you're ready for the next stage."

"What's 'The next stage?'" You asked, a bit weary.