The White Stranger

It felt good to have Bellhûn at your side once again, and to simply be up and about on your feet. At first your balance was off kilter with every step, and you stumbled a few times into the fellowship, shooing them away when they came to your aid. You were going to do this on your own or not at all. With a few deep breaths, and some heavy leaning onto your staff, you held your head high in determination as two horses were presented to you. Hasufel and Arod, who's masters had fallen in the raid upon the Uruk-hai. Arod was a fiery and restless horse, but Legolas rode him easily without saddle or rein. Gimli was not so comfortable on Arod, and he clung to his friend uneasily.

As Aragorn swung himself onto Hasufel, Eomer came up behind you, "I hope you find your companions."

"Is there nothing I can do to convince you to come?" You asked.

Eomer shook his head sullenly, "My duty lies with my men." A bit of regret lingering in his eyes.

You smiled, "Perhaps one day we will meet again. Thank you for all you've done," You leaned in to place a kiss on his cheek, "For luck."

Behind his scruff and twinkling surprise, Eomer bowed his head, "I wish you well, My Lady."

His slight embarrassment amused you, making you grin before Aragorn held out his hand to help you up. His strength surprised you as you were whisked into the air behind him, scooting as close as you could to grip him tightly around his waist. The last thing you wanted to do was fall off a galloping horse. With a couple of clicks, your small fellowship made its way through the cluttered tents of the Rohirrim and out amongst the wild grasses of Rohan. Taking one last glance behind you, you caught Eomer's sad gaze, wondering if you would ever see the horse lord again, and silently praying that you would.

A horrid stench of burnt orc wafted towards you on the wind far before you had even reached the clearing where you had been rescued. You hadn't seen the extent of the massacre that occurred until now. A pile of charred carcasses stood on the edge of the woods, where swollen heads were driven through spikes and stuck into the earth as a warning. It was hard for you to imagine Eomer and his men wreaking so much carnage, until you remembered the rage you felt when Boromir passed. They were not men, but beasts, and you were glad those filth had suffered such a fate.

Immediately Aragorn began the search for the hobbits, scouring the ground for any signs with your memory of what had happened that night. It took you into the forest, deeper and deeper, until the light grew dim from the heavy blanket of leaves above. Aragorn seemed more than determined to find them, picking up the pace to the point where it left you exhausted, stumbling over roots. Even if you had healed most of your wounds, your strength had not yet been fully recovered.

Legolas looked back, calling out to him, "Aragorn."

He finally noticed you lagging behind, stopping to make his way back towards you, "Forgive me, I wasn't paying attention. Are you alright? Can you go on?"

You leaned against a few roots, "I'll be fine. We need to find them."

Not entirely satisfied with your answer, Aragorn looked to the ground, something catching his eye, "These are strange tracks..." He knelt to the ground to inspect them.

"The air is so close in here!" Gimli shuddered.

"This forest is old... Very old," Legolas seemed to soak in the very essence of the forest, something saddening his features, "Full of memory... and anger." A series of creaks and groans echoed around you, until Legolas said something you weren't expecting, "The trees are speaking to each other."

You had to admit, coming from a world where trees never said anything, the sound was a bit frightening and you wouldn't have blamed Gimli for readying his battle axe in fear of his life.